North Carolina-Outer Banks

Okay, Newlyweds-- DISH

What's the scoop?!  What are you thoughts now?  First of all, HOW DOES IT FEEL?!  or are you tired of people asking that?

Now that you've "been there, done that" what is your advice for us?  Any particular things you were stressing over and didn't need, or wish you'd had?  Any advice about prepping and the day of is more than appreciated!  

Time to share the wealth :-D
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Okay, Newlyweds-- DISH

• edited December 2011

I've got lots to say.  Be back when I decompress a little.

And, yes, this is the new "me."  You can't change your screen name once it's been created and I had too much stuff already attached to it.  Though this would be a good time to do it.

• edited December 2011

I have to stop and remind myself we're married sometimes.  We'll be driving down the road, eating dinner, or whatever and I'll look at him and be like, "You're my husband!"  haha.  But mostly, it just feels the same.  We've lived together for a year and a half so that wasn't an adjustment for us, but being married really feels permanent.  When we get in arguments now, there's no doubt in my mind that he's going to be there when the dust settles.  Oh, and I love looking at our wedding pictures tucked around the house. =)

My advice... plan everything in advance so you can relax and enjoy your wedding day (and the days leading up to it). 

Everyone says the details don't matter and no one will notice them, but I disagree.  Our little details made our wedding special and we received compliments on them. 

Decide what the important things to you are and focus on those. Don't feel like you have to do every single thing you see/read about. 

Set your hair and makeup time earlier than the suggested time they give you so you FOR SURE have time for last minute changes.  Bring options for your hair if you didn't do a trial.  Get them to give you the lipstick/gloss in a sample pack or use your own so your touch-ups match.

On the day of, let everything go.  Enjoy every minute.  Take mental pictures.  Look at your husband on your walk down the aisle.  Sneak off a few minutes during the reception to snag some time alone.  And smile all day!

06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_okay-newlyweds-dish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:8a4cfebf-d9f1-43eb-aead-7fb05af5f4c4Post:b502297d-9876-4667-b732-34e502247e57">Re: Okay, Newlyweds-- DISH</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've got lots to say.  Be back when I decompress a little. And, yes, this is the new "me."  You can't change your screen name once it's been created and I had too much stuff already attached to it.  Though this would be a good time to do it.
    Posted by sangriaMaria[/QUOTE]

I love the new name and "new you"! :)

Christi- Awesome advice. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait for that moment most of all when I can look at him and think, "You're my husband".
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I do feel different.  It’s hard to describe.  We’ve lived together for over 2 years and we bought a house together last year but it still feels different, better.  Like we went grocery shopping and we combined everything.  Normally we would buy our own groceries.  It’s little but it’s nice.  His hand looks so different with a ring on too.    The wedding day itself was perfect.  I wouldn’t change our vendors or location or anything- I know, I still need to write a vendor review. The little things- I know, some are weird:-  for the ceremony, I was very glad I carried a hanky with me.  I teared up a lot and it was much better than carrying Kleenex. -  One thing I wished I’d done was make people sign the postcards we had.  We only had 16 guests and only half of them filled it out- it actually kinda p!ssed me off.  How hard is it to write congrats?  Oh well, have to get over it.  It’s important to me but not to them

- Be VERY specific  on your invitations on what people should wear and reiterate it with anyone you think may have trouble understanding it.  We stated classy and beachy and even gave examples- linen pants, sundresses, nice shorts, etc.  My 19 year old niece thought jeans and a flannel fit the description- I was so upset when I saw her in the morning.  When she told me that was her outfit I said, "You're wearing jeans to my wedding?" Well she went off on me that jeans and a flannel are ok- My sister stepped in before I could respondand made her change and she borrowed a dress from my mom. 

- If you have your ceremony and/or reception at your beach house- do not let anyone cook bacon in the house until the day AFTER the wedding.  We actually told people they were not allowed- Tuesday morning 3 people cooked bacon since the ceremony was over and we could still smell it when we checked out Saturday.  - Make sure you spend a lot of time with your new spouse and stop and remind yourself what an important day it is.  I’m sure I’ll think of more, especially once I see pictures. 
    Lisa Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • tcigaltcigal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    THANK YOU both!  Such good advice!  And I know I most certainly wouldn't have thought of the bacon thing!!!!  LOL

Maria- how did you change your sn?!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Oh and I am NOT tired of talking about it.  I
    Lisa Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_okay-newlyweds-dish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:8a4cfebf-d9f1-43eb-aead-7fb05af5f4c4Post:25df59a9-97da-4e46-a5ce-80eb71df8d4d">Re: Okay, Newlyweds-- DISH</a>:
    [QUOTE]THANK YOU both!  Such good advice!  And I know I most certainly wouldn't have thought of the bacon thing!!!!  LOL Maria- how did you change your sn?!
    Posted by tcigal@gmail.com[/QUOTE]

I couldn't.  I had to create a new identity.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards