North Carolina-Outer Banks

Catering ideas? Best BBQ in OBX?

Hey fellow knotties! I just got home from a quick trip to Duck to take a look at the house we are using for our wedding in July 2013. I was so excited to try High Cotton BBQ because I have read such great things about them. It was my first stop for lunch as soon as I got off the mainland. I had the pork BBQ and it was very tasty but the side dishes of green beans and fried okra were extremely bland and to my surprise the hushpuppies were tiny, not what I am used to growing up in Virginia. My FI and I are taking a road trip down in March or April so I was hoping that you all could give me some other suggestions for BBQ or other catering options! Thanks in advance for everyone's suggestion! 

Re: Catering ideas? Best BBQ in OBX?

• Coastal Provisions (try Coastal Cravings or Coastal Market to try it) and Pigman's are my favorite. Not sure if Pigman's does full catering but Coastal Provisions sure does and has lots of tasty sides on their catering menu. Several of us have used Coastal for our weddings and/or rehearsal dinner so let us know if you have more questions about them!
  • You should definately check out Currituck BBQ. Their food is fantastic!!
  • Hi!!  We used Currituck BBQ for our rehearsal dinner at our rental home and it was amazing!!!  They dropped everything off for us and my family setup while we were doing our rehearsal on the beach.  We got pulled pork, pulled brisket, baked bean, sweet potato casserole, corn on the cob, cole slaw, fried chicken and rolls and hush puppies.  The pulled brisket, fried chicken, baked beans and hush puppies were my favorite!!!  We ordered for 35 people and had leftovers for the week!!!  everything was about $13 per person so very reasonably priced.  The only thing was the sweet potato casserole was verry sweet but if you like that I say go for them!! 

• We were originally planning to go with BBQ ourselves, but ending up choosing The Outer Banks Chef. They send a personal chef to your location to prepare them meal and you work with them to plan the menu that you want. Our menu will consit of BBQ with sides, but also appetizers, a salad, and a Taco Bar for those that do not like BBQ. This was still within our budget and provides way more options and menu items than the quotes I received from BBQ places.
  • We went to High Cotton when we were in the OBX at the end of September and I totally agree with you...the pork was great, but the sides were not. We ended up going to Currituck on our way out of town and we LOVED it. I would say the pork wasn't necessarily better than HC, but the rest of it made up the difference. We're planning to use them for our welcome/rehearsal dinner.
  • abzelabzel member
    First Comment
    edited November 2012
    I just had Currituck cater our wedding.  They were by far the best value.  We tried all of the BBQ places in OBX.  They had the best sides by far.  The mac and cheese and sweet potato casserole are SO good.  They responded to my emails within a day. The day of the reception they truly went above and beyond all of my expections.  I really can't recommend them enough.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards