North Carolina-Outer Banks

Officient Pricing - is this for real??

I am looking into booking Rev. Jay Bowman for my wedding and noticed that his bare minimum package - just the officiating the day of - starts at $550. Is this what it typically costs for officients in the OBX? Seems crazy expensive!!!!

Those of you that had family or friends officiate, was it difficult to file the marriage license?

Re: Officient Pricing - is this for real??

• He's pricier than some of the others, but I'm so glad we had him (and we did the rehearsal, which I also don't regret at all).  Rev. Jay helped us with many questions that we had and made us feel even more comfortable upon meeting him in person.

However, the price is high and might not fit into everyone's budget.  I'm not sure how the rules work, but some of the girls have had relatives/friends marry them.  I know that you cannot use the same website church that some people use to get ordained in other states.  I would contact the Registrar of Deeds if you're seriously considering it, just to make sure you have everything sorted out well in advance.

Good luck!

http://www.darenc.com/public/marriage.asp
    image June 22, 2012
  • I am having Dr. Dave Keller because Rev. Bowman wasn't available for my wedding date/time. He is about $400 total. $200 down payment at booking and $200 due I think 30 days before wedding.
  • Jay recommended his friend Betsy Haas to us and she was $375 and included a rehearsal.  We loved her!
    May 25, 2012
  • That was one of my sticker shock wedding costs, for sure!  Our officiant is around $400 if that helps - most prices seemed to be around that rate, or higher.
  • It's super easy to file for marriage license with a friend/family that officiates. You don't have to do anything special. I think the website my brother used to get his license was maybe $40 and then he just had to sign the marriage license. No problems.
  • Great! Thanks for the advice!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_officient-pricing-is-this-for-real?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:9560fa1d-7fcf-48b6-a150-fea0a3c2bbefPost:ec90845f-b73d-4f68-ab48-a34d313b61ac">Re: Officient Pricing - is this for real??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Great! Thanks for the advice!
    Posted by veterinary09[/QUOTE]

We used Simply Weddings Patricia Walden, she was $300 total, she was the cheapest I could find and since I knew we were having a very short ceremony I didn't want to spend a lot.  She was very good, easy to work with and to get a hold of, I would definitely recommend her.  However, I do have to note that we did not have a rehearsal which would've been an additional fee.
  • My daughter got married in the OBX last June and one their friends went online and got ordained and married them... my son-in-law wrote the ceremony... Priceless...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards