North Carolina-Outer Banks

New Yorker needs help planning Outer Banks Wedding

Hi everyone!  I am recently engaged and I have my heart set on marrying on the beach in the Outer Banks.  I would love a venue that has a casual rustic elgant atmosphere.  I am not from the area and I am just looking for some feedback in regard to locations.  Thanks so much....

Re: New Yorker needs help planning Outer Banks Wedding

• OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!

Have you ever been to OBX?  I have vacationed there since I was a small child and my brother also lives down there, so I am really good with tid-bits about the island.  The best place to start your search is the OBX Wedding Assoc. website which provides you with a list of vendors, reception sites, caterers, etc., basically everything you will need for your wedding.  They hold their annual wedding expo every January, like the 2nd weekend, and more info will be posted about that this coming fall so be sure to look back.  I would definitely make plans to attend the expo so that you can see everything and meet with local vendors all in the same weekend.

A few popular places are The Pier House at Hilton Garden Inn--absolutely gorgeous!!  Another is 108 Budleigh in Manteo (about 10 min from Nags Head), The NC Aquarium, The Curritcuk Club, The Sanderling, etc.  All of these are on the obx wedding site.  It all really depends if you want a grand reception on the fancier side or if you want something more intimiate at a private event home.  That is a very popular choice among brides as well b/c that way you can get married right on the beach and then walk to the house for the reception.

Good luck in your search and if you have any questions at all, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

Happy Planning!
    Charlene

• edited December 2011
    Hi tete, congrats!! OBX is a GREAT choice!! Im from NJ and just got back from the Duck/Corolla area and got loads of info. I have a list of oceanfront event houses I can share if you're interested. I would suggest going on obxwa.com and visitcurrituck.com (if interested in the northern beaches) and get them to send you brochures... I'd suggest 2 of each; one to read and one to cut up for inspiration! One last thing... I highly recommend looking into planners. They will really help narrow down your options.
  • lkleffkelkleffke member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    tete:

micsy gives great advice.  I planned my sept 09 wedding from texas (im originally from Virginia) and I dont know how i would have done it if I hadn't spent every summer (and some falls) for the past 27 years at our house in Corolla. Contact the outer banks wedding association, they have a ton of info.  I also highly recommend the duck/corolla area.  Its much less commercialized than kitty hawk, nags head and slightly more remote, but all of the amenities are there.  Like I mentioned before, my family has owned a house in the N.Outer Banks for almost 30 years and I'm extremely familiar w/ the area as well as the vendors (I've done the whole Outer banks Vendor dance already --and I've become a wedding vendor myself, so I'm still in the loop).   Please feel free to email me at [email protected] if you have any questions.
  • JenO24JenO24 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    congrats!
    if possible you should really plan a trip down even if its a quick one.
    a great tool to use is the outer banks wedding association as they list several reputible vendors, but also show "real weddings" and list what vendors they used.
    you can go the route of using an event home w/ direct beach access or you could go w/ a hotel and use their beach access.  both have their pros and cons...it just all depends on your budget and what matters most to you and your FI.

if you need any help w/ vendors just let me or any obx bride here know and we're always happy to help!
    imageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Hi ,
    I am getting married in virginia beach and we looked all over oBX and everything was so expensive so we found a awesome place in virginia beach on the water with views of the marina and ocean. we are havinng a outside  ceremony and reception inside the waterfront banquet hall. these guys offer and all inclusive wedding pkg. so take a look at thier site online.www.flickr.com/photos/virginiabeachweddings/">www.flickr.com/photos/virginiabeachweddings/
  • dwfangirldwfangirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Charlene's suggestions are right on!  The pier house and the Sanderling would definitely be at the top of my list for rustic elegance... 

I'm planning an OBX wedding from Boston so I feel your pain on the distance thing also!  We did spend a week down there for vacation and wedding planning (FI's family does a vacation there every year anyway), and I have to say - it was tremendously helpful.  Scour this board and you'll see the same names crop up for venues, caterers, DJs, etc.  That made it easy to create a short list to meet with and then we just chose our favorites from there.  

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards