North Carolina-Outer Banks

Figuring out how many guests....

Hi ladies.
I need your opinion. I was thinking we would have around 15-25 people attend our destination wedding in the OBX, but last night when talking to my parents, they think we will have more like 50 people attend (yikes!)

So we were planning to invite all the people we would invite to a wedding at home (140 people) and hoping only the bare minimal came. I don't want large, hence switching to a destination wedding. Do you think it's tacky/okay to send out not a save the date (b/c we haven't selected our date yet), but something like a save the date saying we are planning a wedding at the OBX and like an RSVP card as to if they think they they would plan on attending? Or do we need to personally talk to all 140 guests and figure it out that way?

I hope that makes sense!

Thanks for your feedback!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Figuring out how many guests....

• Honestly, asking people now about it rarely ever pans out the way you think.  People will say "yea we're definitely coming" and then when it comes time to plan it and spend the money, some who previously said yes will back out.  Especially this far in advance. 

I would also advise that since you are planning on inviting 140 people still, that you have funds to pay for and a place big enough to hold that many people.   Baltimore area to OBX is not that far of a distance, so it's realistic based on other OBX weddings that you will likely have more than 15-25 if you invite.  I live in the Baltimore area and we invited 90 and 45 came.  Some were out of towners, but a lot of them came as well.

You may want to consider looking over your guest list and taking people off if you want a smaller wedding?  Or at the very least, don't send save the dates to everyone in case you decide to cut the guest list later.  There were a few on my list I wish I hadn't of sent the save the date to because I decided later on to cut it a little, but it was to late.

I'm not trying to sound harsh, but I agree with your parents, I think you will have more than 15-25 guests.  I just want you to be prepaed and not freak out when RSVP's come in that 75-100 people are coming. 
    Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • Not harsh at all! I appreciate your response! I think I will go over our list and see who I can cut out of inviting!! Thanks again :
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with Hibiscus :)

I also sent you a PM--check your inbox :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards