North Carolina-Outer Banks

4x4 Beach Ceremony

Is anyone holding their ceremony on the 4x4 beach? If so, how are you handling the logistics of making sure no one parks or is settled in your ceremony space?  Are you having the cermony in the center of the beach or closer to the dunes?  I'm concerned about the noise and people being respectful of our ceremony...  Suggestions???

Re: 4x4 Beach Ceremony

• edited December 2011

Hi,

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.  When are you getting married?  I got married in the 4x4 area and we had our ceremony on the beach.  I was a little worried about traffic and people on the beach.  I had a wedding planner who helped set everything up ahead of time.  They had blocked off the area and our florists set up a gorgeous arbor and our planner and my husband's family helped set up the chairs.   We had our ceremony at around 5:30 we figured at that hour people who had been on the beach all day would probably be heading back to their houses to start dinner or be getting ready to go out for dinner.  We lucked out that it was overcast on our wedding day and it rained a little, so it wasn't a very good beach day.  There were some people out there and some passersby, everyone was very nice and respectful, and strangers who were watching wished us well.    The ceremony on the beach was just beautiful.   I wouldn't have changed a thing.  

• tcigaltcigal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    our friends got married there, and decided to just married closer to the house, on the other side of the "dunes" to keep it simpler.  Their wedding pictures look great and they said they didn't regret not having it right at the water!  they walked down the boardwalk to get some pictures by the water, but that was it
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The 4x4 area is absolutely beautiful year round.  I have family that live there full time who use the beach for travel to and from their jobs.  They love the visitors but get very upset when the beach "high road" is blocked.  The signs at the entrance to the 4x4 area tell everyone that the area next to the dunes is used by rescue vehicles, etc.  Please do not block the area.  Just think about how upset you would be if someone came to your street and blocked the road for their personal event.  If this upsets anyone, I understand.  I am just asking that the same courtesy you expect in your neighborhood be observed in the 4x4 area where people live permanently.  BTW, I plan to move there permanently also.  Thanks.

Just so you know that it happens, here are some pics.

Note the oncoming vehicle. 
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    It's a public beach so there is not much you can do in way of blocking off a section of it, especially there since that is how people travel to and from.

Like stressmess noted, most people have left the beach for the day at that time and the beaches there are much much wider than down south, so you should have plenty of room.  I would do it closer to the dunes rather than the center, so that way you are "protected" by the dunes and so you don't have people driving on both sides of you and your guests during the ceremony.  The speed limit is 10mph on the beach, so you shouldn't really hear any noise from vehicles.  Most people are respectful of beach ceremonies and will simply pass by with no disturbances.

Boo is correct in her posts though....the locals do live there year round and that is there only route to into town.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards