North Carolina-Outer Banks

catering, help!

Hi ladies,

I was just in OBX over the weekend and was floored by the quotes that I got from caterers. I'm getting married at Jennette's Pier and really need some help finding a decently priced caterer. I went to Argyles (awesome food, but quoted $8k for 100ppl!) and Kelly's (not impressed, and Mary Ann wouldn't give me a definite quote!) and I'm started to freak out because everything is just so pricey. I'm sure other brides have had this problem...?? We are looking into just doing a catered BBQ, but I can't seem to find a place that is cheap enough to fit in our budget. We are hoping to have about 90ish people at our wedding...help please ;(

Re: catering, help!

• What is your budget? Is it a per person cost, or is it a grand total?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • missm810missm810 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2012
    We are going with High Cotton BBQ for our wedding catering. For their delivery and set-up it's anywhere from about $16-18/pp and for full-service, the highest amount is $25/pp. We were originally going to do delivery and set-up, but changed our minds and decided to go with full-service so no one has to worry about if a tray of food runs empty or something, having to replace it, etc.

I've heard great things about them. I'm going down to the OBX for the wedding expo in Jan and would like to do a tasting (just to make sure I like them, since I've never actually had their food!)

Also, we are getting a bartender through them for $150 for the entire night. Not bad! The grand total will be way less than $8,000! I think it should even be less than $2,000! We think we will have anywhere from 50-60 people, but even with 100 people your grand total shouldn't be too bad even if you chose the full catering and the $25/pp option.  Good luck!
  • If you just want BBQ, have you considered going with a caterer that only does BBQ?  They seem to be less expensive than a traditional caterer.  Some options are: High Cotton BBQ, Currituck BBQ, and Pigman's.  Some of the other brides might have some other suggestions too.
  • I was married in Corolla a few weeks ago and we used Ocean Boulevard. They were AMAZING. Our guests are still raving about the food - I'm not exagerating! Everyone said it was the best dinner they'd ever had at a wedding! We had a cocktail hour where they passed around 4 different appetizers, and then a buffet dinner of a taco station with grilled Mahi Mahi and chicken tacos (with all of the fixins), pulled pork BBQ with coleslaw, rolls, mac & cheese and salad. They provided all of the silverware/plates/napkins and did our cake cutting as well, for $30 per person for 100 people.

I would highly recommend! Food was awesome and they were wonderful to work with!  Good luck!

• We are going with The Outer Banks Chef. They send a personal chef to cook onsite. We chose this route because we also were concerned about budget, and wanted a casual wedding. This way, we are getting BBQ and other food options for those who don't like BBQ (Yes, this may be a shock that people don't like BBQ, but we have a ton of family coming from up north) .They created a menu based on what you want, or provide ideas if you are not sure. They definitely worked within our budget, and are very accessible. They don't have a lot of the overhead fees like other caterers (no delivery fee etc.).
  • Coastal Provisions has a "family feast" menu that is much more economical than their traditional fare. BBQ is one of the options and it is fantastic BBQ. Pigman's was my favorite for years and years but then I tried Coastal's and love it. The only problem is that it can get expensive if you start personalizing the menu for one of the "packages", but I was picky about it, if you like traditional BBQ sides than you won't have that problem. People really enjoyed having BBQ at our wedding, so I think no matter which caterer you go with, BBQ is a great choice for a NC beach wedding.
  • Thank you all so much! We are leaning toward having just BBQ and you all gave me some really great ideas! THANK YOU!
  • We just got married last weekend in Nags Head and also used Ocean Blvd.  That was the best decision we made.  The guests are still talking about the food and were amazed at the presentation.  Annette is awesome to work with and takes care of every little detail.  You can't wrong with Ocean Blvd.
  • I have got quotes from argyles, the good life gourmet, 11th hour events, and enchanted cuisine. Of them all argyles is the most expensive and then she started changing things up. Like free cake, no, no free cake, etc. the last 3 are about the same. Approx 4000 for 100ppl with apps & 2 entree buffet. I will say I am getting more food and options with the good life but they will not provide any eating utensils or plate ware or glassware
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards