North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

Vendor Reviews Are In....

Mani/Pedis:  Hands down, lol....Klassy Nails in the Dune Shops at MP 4.5 does THE best Shellac in the OBX and they have the best massaging pedicure chair.  I have noticed that sometimes my back hurts from being in the massage chair, but this one almost put me to sleep.  Great prices and great service!

Hair & Make-up:  Linda and Charlene @ It's Royalty Salon & Spa in Manteo is amazing!  My hair and make-up were gorgeous and I was somewhat hesitant about the faux eyelashes but they looked great and my eyes just popped!  Linda & Charlene had the bridal suite ready to go for all of us and made sure that I was taken care of and as relaxed as I could possibly be!  Very very happy with their services :)

Outer Banks Productions:  I was very happy with Doug & Michelle and felt soooo beyond comfortable with them...as if they had known Brent and I for our entire lives.  I do feel that some of the family shots were a bit rushed but that was probably b/c it was very very windy and Doug & Michelle were trying to get the shots in before it rained....which it didnt until about 4 hours later, so that was good.  They made sure that I had all of the shots that I wanted before they left for the night and having 2 photographers kept my mind at ease knowing they would capture the ceremony and the reception thoroughly.

DJ John Harper:  Did a great job and kept the party going all night long.  He made sure the right balance of music was played for all of the different age groups and everyone from my 10 year old nephew to our 85 year old grandmother danced the night away.

Atlantic Cake Co:  Absolutely delicious!!!  The guests raved about the cake all night long which was White Chocolate with strawberry filling on the bottom 2 tiers and the top tier was Key Lime with strawberry filling.  We left flowers on the cake table for Susan and once she delivered the cake, she placed the flowers on the tiers and it was beautiful.   I will admit that I was a tad disappointed with our anniversary cake b/c it seemed as if she scraped the bottom of the frosting bowl and slapped on whatever was leftover, which wasn't much at all b/c you could actually see cake through the icing and it was very plain.  I mean I didn't expect for it to be all fancied up, but maybe a "T" across the top or some small decoration would have be nice. 

Ocean Atlantic Rentals:  Heather is fabulous to work with and made sure that everything was taken care of!  We actually forgot to get a sweetheart table for Brent & I (oooopsss!!) but ran in on Thursday and was able to pick one up. 

108 Budleigh:  What can I say other than absolutely gorgeous!  What an incredible venue and it was more than spacious for everyone to move about freely and have plenty of dance space.  We strung clear lights on the outdoor trellis and it was so romantic!

Pamlico Jack's for Rehearsal Dinner:  Doug did a fantastic job with the set-up and the sunset views on the soundside were amazing!  We had the entire upstairs area to ourselves with private bartender service and he came around to make sure that Brent & I were happy with everything, which I thought was an extra special touch on his part.  The food was amazing and I highly recommend to anyone!

Coastal Provisions Catering:  I saved this one for last and for good reason!  Let me just start off by saying that Dan, the owner, is absolutely fabulous and HE is the sole reason that we chose them.  The food was amazing and I have no complaints there.  The guests raved about the food and that it tasted delicious and that the side-dishes and salad were a great compliment to the main entree.

Working with Nina, their coordinator, was stressful for me at times b/c it felt like it took up to 2 weeks to hear back from her throughout the planning process.  We paid for "Beverage Service" and none of the servers asked anyone at the tables if they would like tea, soda or coffee to drink and a couple of guests did not realize there was anything to drink other than water and alchohol.  NOT happy about this at all!  They were clearly instructed that the 4 bottles of Reisling hidden behind the bar were for my mother and I only and before dinner even started, they used up all of it and we had to send someone out to get more bottles of Reisling.  I also had several small favor boxes of Godiva chocolates leftover in the fridge and magically at the end of the night...they were gone and so were the 2 bags they were sitting in.  We also instructed them to use the clear plates for cocktail hour and for the cake cutting and instead, they used all of the salad/dessert plates which meant the bread & butter went into baskets and not the bread plates that I paid for.  When they did bring the coffee out to the guests that ASKED for it, they did not place the cup on the saucer, which again, I paid for. 

Overall the food was delicious and the guests were happy....which is what all of this is for in long run anyways, but the bride & groom were not too thrilled that several things were forgotten and ignored and these were things we paid for.  Boo is speaking to Nina today about all of this.

Other than the few catering issues, Brent and I had an absolutely wonderful night and I felt like a true princess!  Now that it's over....I have no idea what I will do with myself and all of this spare time on my hands.  Maybe we should get to making babies???  LOL 

Re: Vendor Reviews Are In....

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Now you have time to meet me in real life AND just in time for the Redskins/Cowboys game this weekend :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Glad everything went so well (minus the couple weird catering things)!!! You gotta post more pics of your reception so I can see all of what you did with Budleigh!!! Soooo happy for you & Brent!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    YAH!!!  I am so happy for you girl!  I love the pics I have seen so far and look forward to the professional one.

Question, how did everything go for you set up and breakdown at the Budleigh? 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh yeah, I want to know that too (what Janet asked)!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_vendor-reviews-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:c9b2c1e3-50a3-499c-b88f-f54b7049bcc9Post:e2474330-50d1-487d-832e-0645b0e5cb76">Re: Vendor Reviews Are In....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Now you have time to meet me in real life AND just in time for the Redskins/Cowboys game this weekend :)
    Posted by littlemsmagic138[/QUOTE]

LOL.....ohhhhh, so you're ready for the game I see??  Uhhhhhuhhhh....it's on like Donkey Kong girl!  ;)

• Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011

Pictures from our guests are slowly starting to trickle in, so when I get some good ones of Budleigh, I will post for you.  I'm sure the photog has plenty as well but probably won't get those back for a few weeks at least.

The setup and breakdown at Budleigh went very smoothly.  Make sure you have as many people as you can there with you....the more people, the smoother and quicker it will go.  We got there about 7:45 the morning of and were out by 10:00am.  The 1st thing we did was have all of the guys (minus Brent of course) move the tables & chairs where we wanted them to go.  Then we assigned tasks to certain BM's or GM's such as...."Nikki & Eric...you are in charge of the ivory linens and then Steven & Rachel will come behind you with the tangerine overlays" After the linens were placed, that is when my sister went to each table with a steamer and steamed out any wrinkles.  Make sure you have a long extrension cord and there is no sense in steaming the linens before you go over there b/c they will just get wrinkled again from being folded & then unfolded.

My mom then showed the rest of the guys (which I have pics of and think its hilarious) how to tie the chair ties since I didn't want bows, and they came out really nice!  Then we had another group of people come behind the guys and tie the starfish to the back of the chair ties where the knot was....you will understand better in the pics.  As the tables were being setup...we had another crew placing sand and shells into the glass cylinders and place them on the table.  If you are using any sort of glass on your tables, make sure your crew picks them up by the base and not the top so you don't see fingerprint marks on the glass later that night.  I was kind of anal about that, lol.  We also had a few guys hanging the string lights on the trellis and that was gorgeous!!!  They did such an amazing job with the lights....it looked sooooo romantic outside!  The great thing is, they have plugs hidden throughout the trellis & the posts so you don't have to worry about extension cords....but bring some just in case.

I can tell you the brooms are hidden in the hallway near the kitchen...you will need to sweep up any mess before you leave.  I hope this helps and if you have ANY questions at all....you know I'm right here for ya!  :)  Ohhhh and MAKE SURE you have someone designated to go right over to the reception immediately after the ceremony to make sure that all of the candles are lit and the mood is set.

I also used the side-room upstairs....to the left of the bar area...for our bridal party to hide out in before our grand entrance down the stairs, so Brent and I could have a private toast with them.  It was a very sweet moment....got me all teary eyed again over here :)

Ohhh another quick thing....if you remember the large antique armoire (for lack of better explanation) between the doors that lead out to the trellis, that is where Brent and I placed our sweetheart table so that way, we didn't have our backs to anyone and were able to see all of our guests :)

• Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    And one more thing....grab some cinammon rolls, muffins, bagels, etc. and bring them with you the morning of b/c your crew will be hungry and searching for a snack and coffee as well :)

• Options
    tigertayl22tigertayl22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations MRS!  Thanks for the reviews and I am glad your day went great! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Char,  I love reading your posts. Too funny!  :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OBX 2011-  Congratulations!!  It sounds just perfect and I'm so glad that the weather cooperated.

I have to pick your brain about CPC.  I've been having a difficult time getting responses back from Nina.  We have been trying to book CPC (and their event home) for almost 2 weeks now.  It doesn't give me warm fuzzies that I can't even BOOK the place and it makes me wonder if this is how the next 11 months will go.  Honestly it just scares the crap out of me and I don't think I want that stress.  However, I do love the place and DO NOT want to start the search all over again but I can't move forward with anything else (booking officiant, photographer etc.) until we have a contract.  Any advice? 
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    Anytime I couldn't get in touch with Nina, I called the restaurant directly and asked to speak with Dan.  Amazing, that I would hear from Nina within 30 minutes.  She also told me that if I REALLY needed something, to mark the e-mail subject line with "URGENT" so she would read it. 

I will have to say that they need to hire an assistant for Nina b/c while I understand they are dealing with 100's of brides at any given time, when I am paying someone this much money for your catering, I would like to have answer within a few days rather than a few weeks.

I would call the restaurant and explain your concern....especially since you are trying to rent Pelican's Landing, I believe.  I have Nina's cell # if you need it :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I believe Kel has her(Nina's) biz card as well.  I think we are using them for our Welcome/Rehearsal dinner too.  Not sure if we are renting out CP Market or getting "pop and drop" service.  I know we fell in love with the market, how quaint it was, when we were there a few weeks back.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

You're right, it is Pelican's Landing.  I guess the cell wouldn't hurt but I think the main number might actually be her cell number?  Does that sound right?  I don't want to be a stalker and I certainly don't want to start off on the wrong foot with a vendor that will be handling the space, setup and food especially since we haven't actually paid anything yet (no contract).  Maybe I'll give her a call tomorrow?

• Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    I send you a PM with her cell #

• Options
    mnwell03mnwell03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OBX2011:  Congrats on the wedding!  I'm also getting married at 108 Budleigh and was wondering if we also had to break down the tables and put away the chairs at the end of the night (or does the cleaning crew do that?).  Thanks!
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    You are the cleaning crew, lol ;)

Yes, you will have to break down all of the tables...we just rested them against the wall which is where we found them that morning and then stacked the chairs next to it.  Whichever way you find it that morning, just leave it that way at night.

And where in VA are you?  I'm in the Richmond area :)

• Options
    JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey Mnwell, there are three of us in a row getting married the week prior to you at the Budleigh!  I am the 21st, Jen on the 22nd and Whit on the 23rd!  I actually orginally had booked the 30th and ended up moving it a week prior. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you can request that Shindigz do the breakdown of the tables. I know you can definitely request them to set up the tables for $2.50/table.  I need to check to see if they'd do the breakdown for a similar amount.  I know it seems kind of silly to pay, but I don't want to have to worry about anything but getting my own decor out that night.  To me, its worth the $50 to have them do it.  We'll probably do our own set up but have them breakdown, if they will. Allison Fearing runs that company (she is the daughter of the owners).  She is very nice.  I will let everyone know what the deal is after I talk to her.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    mnwell03mnwell03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey JAK!  I'm so excited to have our recpetion at Budleigh!  I'm glad that there are others having it there close to the wedding date because I'm sure that I will have a TON of questions about setting up locations of everything inside.

I'm in the same boat as you keb...I would definitely pay someone to break everything down at the end of the night!  I know that I'm just going to want to get out of there and go to our hotel room :-)

obx2011:  I'm right down the road in Charlottesville!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards