North Carolina-Outer Banks

Question about Pelican's Landing in Corolla

Hello folks!
I had a question about Pelican's Landing in Corolla--I guess this is directed more towards people who had their wedding there. It appears that you are required to use their catering service, correct? If that is the case, do you have any leeway in asking for things that aren't on their catering menu?

Both my fiance and I have some serious dietary restrictions; as a result, we've been eating pretty close to a vegan diet (with the occasional fish thrown in). I looked at their menu and see they have vegetarian options, but that won't work for us. Will they work with you to accommodate food allergies or dietary restrictions?

Also, their web site is not really helpful, regardingt their list of vendors--are those the only vendors they allow, or are they just recommendations? Again, will need some leeway regarding cakes. :) Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance for your help! I just want a bit more info before pursuing them as a potential venue....

Christine

Re: Question about Pelican's Landing in Corolla

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_question-about-pelicans-landing-in-corolla?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:ef42f324-8b3b-4323-a82a-369ff237ab5bPost:4df1fa8d-ab3b-4ba1-b486-fb10fbf52c06">Question about Pelican's Landing in Corolla</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello folks! I had a question about Pelican's Landing in Corolla--I guess this is directed more towards people who had their wedding there. It appears that you are required to use their catering service, correct? If that is the case, do you have any leeway in asking for things that aren't on their catering menu? Both my fiance and I have some serious dietary restrictions; as a result, we've been eating pretty close to a vegan diet (with the occasional fish thrown in). I looked at their menu and see they have vegetarian options, but that won't work for us. Will they work with you to accommodate food allergies or dietary restrictions? Also, their web site is not really helpful, regardingt their list of vendors--are those the only vendors they allow, or are they just recommendations? Again, will need some leeway regarding cakes. :) Does anyone know? Thanks in advance for your help! I just want a bit more info before pursuing them as a potential venue.... Christine
    Posted by depotmode[/QUOTE]

Christine, WELCOME!  My FI and I are getting married at The Sanderling in Duck, however one of the recently married brides was married at Pelicans Landing and is currently on her honeymoon. 

PL is owned by Coastal Provisions.  Their food is PHENOMINAL(we did a tasting there when considering caterers before we went with the Sanderling) and I can't speak for the brides that have had their wedding there, but I know they were very accomodating when at our tasting.  I would reach out to them to see if they can meet your needs.  Leave no stone unturned when looking for Venue/Caterers.  Most will work with you and your budget and dietary needs.

We are ALL here to help you out during your planning.  The board is GREAT and has been helpful to me and my FI.  We have about 1 1/2 months to go.  Very excited!

Again, WELCOME!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've only eaten at Coastal Cravings once (the dive in the back of the gas station in Duck), and that was for breakfast, but I found it tasty...which is why I'm considering this option. :)

• Hi Christine-

We're getting married at Pelican's Landing in August and are using Coastal Provisions for catering.  Nina and Scott Foster are the owners of both.  There are quite a few things that they can make that are NOT on the menu.  In fact, during our tasting and menu discussion, Nina was offering up suggestions that were not on the menu or website so I know that they can accomodate.  Plus, Scott used to work at a catering place in Northern VA (similar to whole foods) so I know he's familiar with fresh/organic foods and could easily handle any dietary restrictions. 

The only vendor you have to use when booking Pelican's Landing is Coastal Provisions for catering (unless you choose to cook yourself).  We were worried about being stuck with a caterer just for booking the house but the food is really good (did our tasting in April) and I've yet to hear any complaints on the board about their food.

You can use any vendor you want for cake, rentals, day-of coordinator, photographer etc.  I think the list is on the site is for folks they work with on a regular basis but you are not restricted to that list by any means.

I do want to point out that you might get deals on pricing if you use some of the vendors they recommend.  For example, they were offering a percentage off for photography if you booked Pelican's Landing and you used Rachael Hyde as your photographer.  We didn't go with Rachael because we didn't get to meet her at the expo and hadn't really heard much about her.  Her pricing was very reasonable but we met another photographer who we got along great with and decided to go with her (Alex Couey) instead.

There was a deal for using day-of coordinator, Brenda Zeigler, of To Have and To Hold too.  Nina actually pays $300 of Brenda's fee if you book Pelican's Landing (not sure if that offer was just for the expo or..?).

We did end up booking Brenda Zeigler because we met with her at the wedding expo and we really hit it off.  We also liked that she was very familar with Pelican's Landing (and other venues as well) and that she had a great working relationship with Nina and we felt that would make a difference on the day.  Lastly, the $300 off was a nice bonus (we get Brenda the day of and the day before for $650...not bad for peace of mind).

As for cake, I'd say start checking around with a few vendors.  We're going with Melinda Gregory of Just Desserts.  She trained in France and doesn't use fondant (we are not fans of fondant, don't like the taste) and I think it takes more skill to make the icing pretty and smooth vs. slapping some fondant on it.  That's just me though, no offense to anyone that likes/uses fondant just a personal preference.

We picked Pelican's Landing for the following reasons:

It comes with plates/glasses/flatware/serveware so there's less to rent. 
    It has a fantastic yard for a tent ( i just rhymed hahha)
    Hampton Inn Corolla is a few miles up the road for guests
    You don't have to rent it for the whole week (2-3 day minimum) so you could have your wedding there (pay big bucks to be oceanfront) and then move to a regular vacation rental home (maybe oceanside or soundfront) later.
    Public Parking is a block away (in each direction--no shuttle req'd)
    There is a commercial kitchen in the garage at Pelican's Landing that Coastal Provisions uses to cook your food out so it's nice and hot and there's not a catering truck parked in your driveway.
    There is no event fee!  There is a $1500 deposit that you get back.

Hope that helps!!

• This was EXACTLY the kind of information I was looking for! Thanks for such a detailed response. :)

I found a cupcake vendor in Manteo that does vegan cupcakes, so I'm just hoping they're still in business when we get married...otherwise we may be making our own wedding cake! :P I will make sure there is "regular" food and cake for the guests, but we want to be able to enjoy our day too...by not getting sick!
  • Emily was married there on July 23rd but is currently on her HM.  I am sure she will be able to give you a lot of info once she returns!  She may have posted reviews on here....lemme see if I can find them for you :)

• Oops!  I mean she was married on June 23rd--hello party of ME!  lol

Here is the link to her reviews:

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_pelicans-landing-62312-wedding-reviews

• Thanks, her reviews are really helpful.

And naturally, now I'm overwhelmed. :P
  • Glad that was helpful and my pleasure!  Thanks to our mod too for finding the reviews :) Don't get overwhelmed, we've all been there and are here to help!!
    Let me know if you need any more info..

• edited July 2012
    I'm also getting married at Pelican's Landing. Although I'm not vegan, my very best friend and his girlfriend are.  They're going to have special vegan selections set aside for them (we're doing food stations and heavy hor dourves insteda of a plated dinner). Scott and Nina are very easy to work with!
  • edited July 2012
    I think everyone covered it for me, but I am back from the honeymoon if you have other questions!
    I will say that we did not have a day of coordinator and I didn't really miss having one because I wanted to be very hands on, my mom is super organized (that's nicer than saying anal, right??), and my girls (and even some GM) were really anxious and willing to help. Nina and her crew do a lot the day before/day of/day after so be sure you ask about all of that before you hire a DOC if you're thinking about it. She also has lots of "stuff" included in the rental but since I signed my contract, she has started charging extra $ to use her couches (if you want to do a lounge-type thing on the deck) and candy buffet jars. I think it's kind of ridiculous, but there are a lot of things that ARE included. I just hope she's not thinking of jacking up the prices to use those, too, because that would be a huge bummer!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards