North Carolina-Outer Banks

WARNING! about the Pearl

So,

As Sarah found out, Trish, the owner (or should I say ex-owner) of The Pearl (our wedding venue in KDH) has opened a new restaurant in Naples, FL called L'Etoile. 

I just received an email from my florist this morning saying that the "Pearl has gone under new management and they are doing major renovations."  So, since I have been calling/trying to get a hold of Trish for - oh, I dunno - 3 freaking months now, I decided to give the Sea Ranch a call since they own the property. 

Lo and behold, The Pearl (Trish) decided not to renew her lease, and now the restaurant area has been bought out by the hotel.  They are going to try to "honor the prices" agreed upon by the pearl - but GUESS WHAT?!  TRISH STILL HAS MY MONEY!!  And... even better than that... when I called her new place in FL trying to get a hold of her, she was there but miraculously "Stepped out for a moment" when she found out who was trying to get a hold of her. 

Anyways, she'd better give me back my $1000 deposit, because I can tell you - the wrath of Anna is NOT pretty.  How unprofessional can you possibly be? Do you want to MAYBE call your brides who are paying you thousands of dollars of their own money and let them know that you're closing your restaurant?!?!

Regardless, the Sea Ranch said they will call me back by Friday since they're trying to get everything sorted out, and that they're holding my date - but I'm seriously worried here.   Are there ANY other brides on here going through the same problem right now?

-A frustrated and super angry Anna

Re: WARNING! about the Pearl

• OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

WOW!!!  I am so sorry to hear this happened! 

I would be going off on Trish for handling....or should I say lack of handling....this situation.  I would also think that since they closed the business and didn't bother telling anyone, that your contract with them is null & void and that you should get a FULL refund. 
    I posted this lovely little piece on a local Naples newpaper....

"THESE BUSINESS OWNERS ARE NOTHING BUT SCAMMERS!!  The restaurant that they owned in Nags Head, NC (The Pearl) books wedding events and Trisha is THE worst coordinator and business professional!  There are several weddings that are booked for 2012 and deposits have been paid.  Trish hasn't even bothered to call the brides and tell them that they sold The Pearl restaurant and that they MAY NOT be able to have their reception at The Pearl....AND she still has their money for the deposits!  Trish has horrible customer service and could care leass about her clients.  I guess moving to FL and opening a NEW restaurant means she doesn't have to care about the one she just sold!!  Trish, you and your husband are an absolute disgrace and should be ashamed of yourselves!!"

I don't let anyone mess around with my OBX Brides!  ;)

Where are you going to hold your reception at?  Were you also having your ceremony there too?  What can we do to help you out.....other than blast them on newspapers of course?

Whatever you need....you just let us know!

• sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh Anna,
    I'm so so sorry!! I knew Trish was unprofessional but this is BEYOND LOW of her. If I were you, I would draft up a letter demanding full refund of your deposit and send it certified mail, so she has to sign that she received it.

Are you working with Barbara at the Sea Ranch? She is the manager. She was super helpful to me and very sweet. I hope she understand the situation you are in and gives you carte blanche for whatever you want to do. You should strongly suggest they throw in some extras or freebies for your troubles.

What about the food for your wedding? If you are still having it at The Pearl (or whatver the new name will be), you should consider having food catered from elsewhere maybe and just use the space as your venue. Also, explain this new development to your other vendors, they may be willing to do a little extra or help you out.

I really hope the Sea Ranch helps sort this out for you. And listen, if they give you a hard time, I will call you for them. Trust me, they KNOW me and they WILL do what I ask :)

Sending you hugs and good vibes, hun. I know this sucks beyond belief but try and focus on the important thing- you and your fiance will still be taking those vows no matter what and your day will be super special.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    That's just awful, Anna.  I can't say that I'm not surprised considered Trish's treatment of the 2011 brides.  I held my breath that Sarah would actually get married there.  And it seems like barely.  I did a little research and they seem to be a couple of questionable integrity.  I sure hope you can get through and get your money back and wedding plans back on track.  Your planning shouldn't have to be this difficult.  I would send a certified letter as Sarah mentioned.
  • tigertayl22tigertayl22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

So sorry to hear this!  This sounds like a pretty clear cut breach of contract.  Send a certified letter allowing them to refund your deposit by x date otherwise, you'll be filing suit.  I took my first year of law school in Florida before moving to Missouri, so I know several attorneys in that area if you need, Including some in the State Attorney General's office who may be helpful.  Although, if you sue her, it likely won't be in Florida.

Good luck!

I would also consider looking for their new restaurant's webpage when it pops up and reviewing it appropriately.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry to read that you're going through this. :(  On the up side of things, communication with The Sea Ranch always went smoothly for me and they responded quickly.  You may end up in better hands for your planning if they can sort this out quickly.  It would be helpful if you could hook up with other brides in the same boat as you to see what's been done for everyone and make sure you're comfortable with it.

I agree about the letter being a good option toward getting your money back from Trish.  Let us know if we can do anything to help you, even if it's just to vent.
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Anna, that is so horrible!! I am so sorry to hear about your issues. I hope you hear back from her and receive your money back soon! Please keep us posted.
  • I am so sorry to hear what has happened to you brides that have booked with the Pearl for this coming season. As one of the past owners of the hotel (7/11), I can tell you that Trish sold nothing. She left having written thousands of dollars worth of bad checks for rent and utilities. I assure you, that a letter will mean nothing to these people...we have written many. Barbara, our manager for years, and the current one, will do all she can to hold dates while you try to resolve your financal problems with Trish.
    If I were a Father or Groom of one of these brides, I'd be planning a trip to Naples FLA to get my money back in person.
    L"etoile
    10711 Tamiami Trail
    Naples Fla 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_warning-pearl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:f6591a5c-1c7b-4f82-ac95-39c628cb31f4Post:08575625-bd18-4bb4-a4a6-2dc504cbc234">Re: WARNING! about the Pearl</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am so sorry to hear what has happened to you brides that have booked with the Pearl for this coming season. As one of the past owners of the hotel (7/11), I can tell you that Trish sold nothing. She left having written thousands of dollars worth of bad checks for rent and utilities. I assure you, that a letter will mean nothing to these people...we have written many. Barbara, our manager for years, and the current one, will do all she can to hold dates while you try to resolve your financal problems with Trish. If I were a Father or Groom of one of these brides, I'd be planning a trip to Naples FLA to get my money back in person. L"etoile 10711 Tamiami Trail Naples Fla 
    Posted by CGBOBX[/QUOTE]

Hi CGBOBX,
    Thanks for your post. It's sad to hear how Trish scammed not just these brides, but the Sea Ranch also. If you are interested in sharing your story, we have been in contact with a reporter from the Virginia Pilot Paper who is writing a story on them named Jeff Hampton. Here is his email address: [Jeff.Hampton@pilotonline.com].
  • Sarah, he just wrote to me today and said that he is not doing a story unless I start a law suit. Just fyi.

Also, I think because of all the "bad press," the new venue is now going to honor the contract? Or so they say.  We shall see...
  • Oh really?! That's lame. Well, I have a few other reporters I can call and see what they can do.

They had BETTER honor their contract with you! I'm so sorry. What a mess.
  • In Response to <a href="http://outerbanks.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_warning-pearl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:f6591a5c-1c7b-4f82-ac95-39c628cb31f4Post:a2458ffd-c6f1-4f38-94b0-afd44a3cf980">Re: WARNING! about the Pearl</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WARNING! about the Pearl : Hi CGBOBX, Thanks for your post. It's sad to hear how Trish scammed not just these brides, but the Sea Ranch also. If you are interested in sharing your story, we have been in contact with a reporter from the Virginia Pilot Paper who is writing a story on them named Jeff Hampton. Here is his email address: [Jeff.Hampton@pilotonline.com].
    Posted by sarahebrown[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain! I had my wedding at The Pearl last summer and Trish scammed my husband and I out of a lot of money. We had an alcohol budget of $1500 for about 75 people and before we even sat down for dinner she came to us and said we had already reached our budget. Well I found out from a few of my guests after the wedding that they had paid for their alcohol! I knew there was no way my guest had drank that much money in alcohol. Where did my money go!!

I'm not surprised to hear that all of this has happened. I only found out because I'm here in the Outer Banks for vacation and saw that The Pearl was no longer at the Sea Ranch Hotel.

I know I can't get my money back but I hope all of you current brides can get your money back.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_warning-pearl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:f6591a5c-1c7b-4f82-ac95-39c628cb31f4Post:78e929bc-6db2-4e0b-aade-8fc4edf52962">Re: WARNING! about the Pearl</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WARNING! about the Pearl : I feel your pain! I had my wedding at The Pearl last summer and Trish scammed my husband and I out of a lot of money. We had an alcohol budget of $1500 for about 75 people and before we even sat down for dinner she came to us and said we had already reached our budget. Well I found out from a few of my guests after the wedding that they had paid for their alcohol! I knew there was no way my guest had drank that much money in alcohol. Where did my money go!! I'm not surprised to hear that all of this has happened. I only found out because I'm here in the Outer Banks for vacation and saw that The Pearl was no longer at the Sea Ranch Hotel. I know I can't get my money back but I hope all of you current brides can get your money back.
    Posted by roxy2104[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Just had to share my story on here too- We got married at the Pearl on 10/16/11.</div><div>When we showed up the Wednesday before our wedding we were told the restarunt was closed. I freaked out. The hotel assured me that my wedding would still happen. On the day of the wedding Trish was 3 hours late letting us in to decorate. She also seemed to be intoxicated in some way. So we had our wedding- They set the tables up wrong for the reception- put my husband and I in the back of the restaraunt, alone, at a high top table. Trish rushed us through our dinner and our reception. At the end of the night, when my mom was trying to settle up with her, she told my mom that we owed $800 more than we had originally agreed on. She was trying to over charge us for each meal, as well as say we had more people there then we actually did. (We only had 41 people, it wasn't that hard to count). So I pulled up the email (AT MY RECEPTION) to show her the agreed upon price- my mom did the math 
    (She's an accountant by trade) and handed her a check for what we really owed her. She then started threatening us and demanded we leave IMMEDIATLY and started to throw our decorations away. She said if we didn't leave RIGHT THAT MINUTE she would call the police. My brother (a cop) told her to go ahead and call the police, because we were doing nothing wrong. So all my guests gathered our stuff and helped us get out in 7 minutes. Trish was yelling and screaming and telling her staff not to help us and to throw all our stuff away. Luckily, they knew she was crazy and were helping us however they could. Bottom line, that lady is NUTS. I would never ever ever do business with her again. I mean come on! We got kicked out of our own wedding! Makes for a great story!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards