January 2012 Weddings

Changing Your Name - How Do You Feel About It?

All,

I just got married on January 14 and had a wonderful wedding and honeymoon in Belize.  Now I'm back at work and the reality of changing my last name is slapping me in the face.  While I am totaly excited about marrying the love of my life, I am struggling with changing my name.  My first step was changing it on Facebook and it literally made my stomach hurt!  I am going to do it but I guess it won't be easy.  

How do you all feel about this?  

Also, if you use an email signature at work, are your going to reflect your maiden name until people get used to your new last name?  Colleagues recommended listing my new name with my maiden name in paranthesis such as: Jane Smith (Doe)
Wedding bliss since January 14, 2012!

Re: Changing Your Name - How Do You Feel About It?

• I am happily taking FIs last name. Yep its going to be totally weird and is going to take a long time to adjust too but I dont have an attachment to my maiden last name. Not looking forward to all the paperwork though thats for sure!
    Wedding Items for Sale!! http://wedding12712.weebly.com/ Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Same as most of you, it's weird. I think age has something to do with it. I have my own identity and ts hard to leave t behind after 35 years. But I am moving my maiden to my middle so I will have two of those now. And, tara, my kids are too cute. The girls are all so excited about calling me by my new last name, eve though I told them all they could still call me by the one they barely remember :) (I get called "miss" A LOT)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_changing-name-feel?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:2033c41a-cc2f-4238-a13e-0a9e50a69c65Post:c825e0c2-bf4a-4a9f-add2-902bd5562e88">Re: Changing Your Name - How Do You Feel About It?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am happily taking FIs last name. Yep its going to be totally weird and is going to take a long time to adjust too but I dont have an attachment to my maiden last name. Not looking forward to all the paperwork though thats for sure!
    Posted by sassygirl5401[/QUOTE]

This!  It's a slow process.  I had to miss work to visit the SS office last week.  Man they always have a line.   This week I took care of my drivers license.  Yet another long line.  I figure if I focus on one thing a week, it will eventually get done.  I like that my new married name is more common.  My maiden name is not common and I always have to spell it out for people.  Plus my maiden name is really my adopted name.  My stepdad adopted me when I was 10 so I've already had to go through a name change once.  I guess that's why I'm not as attached to my maiden name.

I did consider moving my maiden name to a second middle name, but several of his family members were offended I was condsidering keeping it.  Ultimately I made the decision not to keep my maiden name because I'm not attached to it, but I almost did just to spite them.  Guess that's not a good way to start things off though. :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_changing-name-feel?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:2033c41a-cc2f-4238-a13e-0a9e50a69c65Post:271058a9-0046-45d9-835b-7448f36dc7bc">Re: Changing Your Name - How Do You Feel About It?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Changing Your Name - How Do You Feel About It? : This!  It's a slow process.  I had to miss work to visit the SS office last week.  Man they always have a line.   This week I took care of my drivers license.  Yet another long line.  I figure if I focus on one thing a week, it will eventually get done.  I like that my new married name is more common.  My maiden name is not common and I always have to spell it out for people.  Plus my maiden name is really my adopted name.  My stepdad adopted me when I was 10 so I've already had to go through a name change once.  I guess that's why I'm not as attached to my maiden name. I did consider moving my maiden name to a second middle name, but several of his family members were offended I was condsidering keeping it.  Ultimately I made the decision not to keep my maiden name because I'm not attached to it, but I almost did just to spite them.  Guess that's not a good way to start things off though. :)
    Posted by shellmaneth[/QUOTE]

I am really worried about lines. Since I am student teaching, I can't go during, but have to wait until after my school day, which gives me a whole 30 minutes to be there. I guess I could pray for a snow day, and go do it then. I am going to try tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards