January 2012 Weddings
Options

I know this is terrible but...

Hello!  I am still trying to figure out my wedding date- I really like January of 2012 however my mother made a semi-valid point, although it is sort of selfish..  She pointed out that January is right after the holidays and worries that some guests won't want to or be able to afford to attend the wedding and she worries that those that do attend might be a litte less generous because of their recent holiday spending..

I really don't want this to be the whole reason I don't get married in January, but both my mother and grandmother are convinced that this is enough reason for me to choose another date.. any suggestions/thoughts?  Again, I know this is selfish.. really really selfish.Undecided
Can't wait to marry my man! October 28, 2011

Re: I know this is terrible but...

• Options
    Well, if there's a really sentimental reason for you to get married in January I think you should. My FI and my 6 year anniversary is the 14th so we're going to get married on the 14th. Also, if people know about your wedding a good deal in advance they can make arrangements to put money aside for the wedding. Another good thing is that there are alot of sales right after Christmas so guests may end up spending less than they would normally. Besides, your wedding is about you and your FI, not about gifts.
  • Options
    I don't think you're being selfish. When we decided on the date for our wedding we took 2 major things into consideration: his schedule and mine. Obviously we still want to make sure our immediate family is ok with the date we choose.
    Just having my family there is enough for me! If they're less generous on the gift giving that's fine by me because the memories will outlast the gifts recieved anyways. I think if you send out save the date cards soon then those who will be attending will have a lot of time to save up and prepare to attend your January wedding.

Amity
    Wedding Items for Sale!! http://wedding12712.weebly.com/ Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    It doesn't sound terrible. My sister and I were talking about planning the bridal shower in the summer so people didn't feel the pinch around the holidays. Now THAT is terrible! :)

The wedding is about you and your FI. There are always going to be people who tell you what they think and it's important to hold true to the vision of what you guys want.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think you should plan for the date that you and your FI feel is best for the two of you, regardless of what the "gift giving amount" may look like. I would hope that what matters most to you and your family is who comes to your wedding, not if they brought a gift with them. I wouldn't worry about that when planning the date.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards