January 2012 Weddings

Dads... what are you gonna do!

My dad is great and has been awesome about my wedding... he's paid for most of it, been supportive, taken as much interest in the details as a dad can but sometimes I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

We were talking about his speech and he told me he's going to adlib. I have experience of his adlibbed speeches and although he is a very good public speaker, he tends to go on for hours and always puts in some terribky embarrassing story from when I was a toddler than in hindsight he's happy to admit was completely inapproriate for the occasion. I told him I would rather he didn't adllib because of time as we have a lot of toasts and it's a formal occasion and he told me if he had to prepare he wasn't doing a speech.

Then yesterday I got an email saying, "do I really have to wear a tie?" My dad isn't a slob at all and he always dresses neatly but in the last few years since he no longer has to wear a tie to work he has developed an aversion to ties that borders on fanaticism. I replied back and said, "dad, it''s a wedding, you are part of the bridal party, everyone else will be wearing a tie. You can take it off after your toast." He hasn't replied, which is generally his way of sulking.

I think I'm going to have to have a word with my stepmom since she's good at bullying him into line. Ha ha! Mostly I just find it funny because he's becoming more "eccentric" with age.

Anyone else having dadzilla moments? Lol!
imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards