January 2012 Weddings

TTC and health insurance

My health insurance ends on 8-15-12 because I am no longer a college student and I got my insurance through my college. My hubby does not have insurance with his job now and won't unless he gets a teaching job, which is a slim chance. I'll get insurance if I get a teaching job but that's not looking too good right now.

I want to TTC and hubby is just about decided that he wants to too. I'm 100% but he's probably 80%.

Problem is my health insurance coverage. I have been looking at plans online and I think I can get a plan for $320 a month that covers maternity and prescriptions, or a plan for $254 without prescriptions. Both have a cap of $700 a year for office visits. However, I'm afraid they won't insure me if I get pregnant before getting the coverage because it'll be an pre-existing condition. But I can't get the plan now because I still have my other plan.

Then there is the option of medicaid. I would have to go through the state's welfare office for this and there are strict guidelines on it. My annual income between my husband and myself can't be more than $24,000. We will exceed this in 2012 because of my unemployment income.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm not sure what to do. I guess the practical thing would be to wait TTC until one of us has a job with insurance but I just don't want to wait any longer. I'll be 33 in October. Plus, it may take us a while TC because of my issues.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker

Re: TTC and health insurance

• OMG. I just got into fight with the people on the Getting Pregnant Board when I asked this question!

http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/66488740.aspx

I love how nice you guys are!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Please research this before taking it as truth.  However, I think I can help you out.  As long as you have insurance now and you pickup the other insurance when you lose this insurance and don't have a gap, I don't think the pre-existing conditions clause can apply as you had coverage when the "condition" began.

I'm in Virginia though and laws may be different where you're at, so please check this out.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_ttc-and-health-insurance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:ff89ed69-55df-43af-8356-acc54225ce6bPost:92f0d381-7cd0-4d24-87e8-90bca225f4d1">Re: TTC and health insurance</a>:
    [QUOTE]Please research this before taking it as truth.  However, I think I can help you out.  As long as you have insurance now and you pickup the other insurance when you lose this insurance and don't have a gap, I don't think the pre-existing conditions clause can apply as you had coverage when the "condition" began. I'm in Virginia though and laws may be different where you're at, so please check this out.
    Posted by jtmh2012[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'm going to call Horizon on Monday and find this out. I also have to find out if there is a waiting period.
  • I thought that with Obama'a bill they couldn't deny you due to a pre existing condition....  I have no idea when that went into effect but I thought i did already.  I know this one guy and when it passed, his rates went up because of it. (He has a pre exisiting conditiion).  As far as insurance, IDK too much.  The plan that I going to get when school starts. I pay one co pay for my first pre natal visit, and then for the 40 weeks after, I don't have too. 

I am not sure that I am much help.  BUT...my mother works for Blue Cross Blue Sheild of MN.  She is not an agent, but someone who processes the claims.  So if you ever have a general question about insurance, let me know, and I can ask her.  She has been in the field for over 10 years so she is really knowlegeable.

Sorry they attacked you. :(
  • I called Esurance and found out that in the state of NJ they can't deny me coverage just for being pregnant however since my current insurance does not cover maternity, my new coverage can having up to a 12 month waiting period if I get pregnant before the insurance starts.

This means that I need to get the new insurance ASAP because I don't want to stop TTC and I don't want to have to pay out of pocket for a pregnancy and delivery either. It just sucks because I already have coverage up until Aug 14 with my current plan. However, it's better to get the new insurance now, then be sorry if I did end up pregnant before August.
  • In Response to Re: TTC and health insurance:
    [QUOTE Sorry they attacked you. :(
    Posted by hippolover[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Did you read the horrible things they were saying to me?! I was very upset last night! I didn't know people could be so mean.
  • I agree.  Better safe than sorry. Sorry you are having such a rough time.  I wish for the world that you and your H would find jobs.  You are such a warm and loving person.  You spirit is somethinig that every needs to encounter because it truely is a breath of fresh air.  You are a strong woman, and you guys will get past this.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_ttc-and-health-insurance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:ff89ed69-55df-43af-8356-acc54225ce6bPost:8939495b-b390-4794-8bd9-fd4263f30df6">Re: TTC and health insurance</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree.  Better safe than sorry. Sorry you are having such a rough time.  I wish for the world that you and your H would find jobs.  You are such a warm and loving person.  You spirit is somethinig that every needs to encounter because it truely is a breath of fresh air.  You are a strong woman, and you guys will get past this.
    Posted by hippolover[/QUOTE]

You are so sweet! Thank so much for your kind words!
  • I don't even go on other boards because of how mean people are. I would try to wait as long as possible TC. I hope that you can get the whole situation straightened out. I hate health insurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards