South Carolina-Charleston

Heavy hors d'eouvres at dinner time? (6 pm?)

Hey Ladies,

We are having our wedding at the Thomas Bennett House downtown...and due to noise ordinances we have to be done by 10 pm. I was wondering if its ok to have just a heavy hors d'eouvres reception instead of full on dinner?

Re: Heavy hors d'eouvres at dinner time? (6 pm?)

• shannjeffshannjeff member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah you can do that..i almost did that but my family eats a lot so i went with buffet..but at a friends wedding earlier this year they did this and it was a lot of food to go around not to mention the cake..totally ok
  • DRibeiro13DRibeiro13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    cool...i talked to my wedding planner about it and she said thats its definately enough food for people to be full...and it just promotes more social interaction and is a little more laid back since you arent sitting down and eating the majority of the time. Im feeling a little better about it now!
  • nfguthrienfguthrie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did heavy hors d'eouvres, as well (sliders w/fries, pork tenderloin, shrimp and grits, veggie plate and spring rolls, and crab dip) and people seemed really happy and were definitely full!  I think of it as a very southern thing to do and is does make things seem laid back.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    My family considers a sit down dinner at a wedding very "yankee" style.  All the weddings I've been to (which have all been in the south) have all served heavy appetizers.  Whether you do stations or a buffet, we never sit down for the full served meal with courses and assigned seating no matter what time of the day it is.  Ditto for the rehearsal dinner.  I wish more wedding planning books and magazines would discuss that.  The chapters on seating charts and table numbers are useless to me.
    We're going to second-line into the New Year! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DRibeiro13DRibeiro13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    great! we are a very laid back couple so it really suits our style to let people eat and drink when and where they want. I was just more worried about people leaving hungry!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards