South Carolina-Charleston
Options

Wedding dresses and unique venues

Hi from Chicago girls! My best friend lives in Charleston and is engaged. She is sort of the anti-bride, and I am helping her out with general wedding planning. The Chicago knotties were my lifeline during my wedding planning, so I am hoping you girls can help me out- Where should she go to look for a dress, preferably a place that sells sample dresses also (while she does not have a date, I think the wedding is <6 months away, may be too soon to order a dress). There is a Saks downtown right? Do they do bridal? What are the unique venues in Charleston? She wants an informal reception, i.e. not sit down dinner, but lots of food and music, for about 100 people. Finally, I think she would like a really classic big band type of band-someone awesome- any ideas? I read some of the posts below on bands but I was not sure who had that big band/classic sinatra type feeling. THANK YOU in advance!!

Re: Wedding dresses and unique venues

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Dress recommendations: White on Daniel Island Belle Couture in Mt. Pleasant Gown Boutique of Charleston on Daniel Island Unique venues: So many choices!! But for that number of people and the feel... Wickliffe House I'On Creek Club Rice Mill Building Alhambra Hall I really could go on forever with the list. Try contacting the Charleston CVB. Bands: No clue and I am on the search myself :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure if Saks does bridal or not, but it seemed like most of the bridal salons I looked at had sample dresses for sale.  I bought my dress, which is a sample, at Belle Couture Bridal in Mt. Pleasant, and I cannot recommend them enough.  They are extremely nice and helpful, plus their dresses are beautiful.  There is also a bridal outlet in Santee, at the outlet mall off of I95, it is like a Marshall's but with wedding dresses, and the proceeds help to fight breast cancer.I think you might need to be more specific with the venue, indoors/outdoors, where in Charleston, modern space or historic Charleston look, etc..  Are you looking for a space unique to Charleston, so it's unique to people from Chicago, or are you looking for something that is also unique for Charleston?  Also, as an FYI, venues that are in Historic Charleston may be in a residential district and therefore the event must end at 10pm, not all are like this.  Another good place to start on this is the visitor's bureau website, charlestoncvb.comI'm a transplant originally from Chicago so please say "Hi" back and let me know if I can answer any more questions.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I shopped at Jean's Bridal Shop and the Bridal House of Charleston in Mt Pleasant, and Bridals by Jodi in N. Charleston. Jean's was very helpful and honest in finding a dress that looked the most flattering over the hips. I can't remember who helped me, she had longer gray curly hair. They have a bunch of discount/sample dresses, most of the I didn't even notice though because they hide them along the back wall behind the stairs. I only noticed them on my way out after I decided that my dress was at another shop. Bridals by Jodi has some sample dresses, most of them are VERY used looking. Lots of makeup marks and you can just tell that a LOT of other girls have tried them on. Bridal House of Charleston - I worked with Midge, she was great, I loved her, and she was very helpful too since I was by myself. I got a sample dress there at a ridiculous price, 70% off and a much better material than I had hoped for. She listened to me and even though I was leaning toward sparkly stuff on my dress, I ended up with a very sleek, unadorned dress. I never ended up going to White, but I read that they have martinis there and I thought it would be fun, but not so much fun if I had to go by myself. It looked like quite the experience. Unique venues - I'd check out the historic houses/plantations. Though some of the houses don't allow dancing. She'd have to rent a tent and do that outside.
  • Options
    andreagornoandreagorno member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got my dress at Jean's of Mt. Pleasant. It was the first place I went to try on gowns and I found it right away. The staff there is very helpful and honest. Oh, a correction to someone's earlier post about events in the residential/historic district having to end early: all amplified music has to be turned off by 11pm (there is a noise ordinance), not 10pm. Not that it makes too much difference. We're having our reception at Lowndes Grove so we're having to abide by that. I would definitely recommend that for an indoor and outdoor reception. It's on the water with a large lawn and historic mansion. www.lowndesgrove.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just to clarify, when we were looking for an indoor/outdoor space we started in the historic district.  We found that at some venues your reception must end at 10pm, I believe the Thomas Bennett House is one, but most are 11pm.  I was told there is a difference by where the venue is located within the historic district, I think it has something to do with proximity to residents.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, the location in the historic district does make a difference. For example, at the Palmer Home the ordinance specifies 9pm.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Music Farm might be a cool option for a unique venue.  I work there and we have had several receptions and day-after parties for out of town guests.  We are fully equipped with all the sound equipment and lighting you'd need - enough to accommodate any caliber of band. The only draw backs would be that we do require you use our bar, but you can bring in any caterer you'd like.  You can email info@musicfarm.com, if you're interested.
  • Options
    NotMrsYetNotMrsYet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all!! I am writing this all down and getting started!!
  • Options
    dvandyckdvandyck member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did not purchase my gown in Charleston. I am from Charlotte, NC so I cannot be of much help there! I can however highly recommend the venue we have choosen for our wedding. We also wanted something unique with charm so we didn't have to focus on decor. We love architecture and so the historic backdrop of the Rice Mill Building was perfect. We are inviting 100 guests but expecting more like 65 being a destination wedding. There is an outside patio to host the ceremony overlooking the Ashley River and City Marina. The inside reception space was even better in person than on their website. They have tons of set up options to make it as formal or casual as you want. What we loved was the flow of the place. Somewhere to have dinner, an outside lounge patio and then a seperate dance floor and bar. We personally chose a stationed dinner without reserved seating to encourage mingling! They ask all events be cleared out by midnight so that would allow for a later reception. If you are interested I can tell you more just email me at dawn.vandyck@gmail.com. Call Emily Weidle at the Rice Mill 843-723-7952 (It is owned by Good Food catering). She was so helpful. Pricing was very reasonable for the area. Hope that helps!As for the band I would say look into Fat Cat Productions and East Coast Entertainment. Once you find a venue they most likely will have a preferred vendor for this. Happy shopping.
    Live the life you've dreamed... My Ovulation Chart
  • Options
    samanth55samanth55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have to throw in a rec for my venue: The Riviera Theatre at Charleston Place (swoon!) Also, for that big band/Sinatra feel check out the Joe Clark Band. He's very nice, but also very popular, so books up early. We ended up going with the Arlin Strader band out of the Myrtle Beach area, and they were fantastic but we also provided our own vocalist (my mom :).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had a very positive experience at Bridals by Jodi;  they were very helpful and spent a great deal of time working with us!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I bought my dress in Greenville, but also shopped at Jean's and Jodi's. Both places were wonderful, although I am a little more partial to Jodi's because they went the extra mile, and I know several other people who bought their gowns there.I am doing the Rice Mill and I agree, it is a great venue, the people there are wonderful to work with. I am working with Catherine Bruce, and she is just full of ideas. Another place that pops into mind as unique is a harbor cruise. There are several different companies that rent out their boats for receptions (Spiritline Cruises, Charleston Harbor Tours, Schooner Pride, etc). I don't know how far she is wanting to venture out, but I know several people who have been married at Old Wide Awake Plantation which is very reasonably priced, and rather informal. Another unique venue- the Aquarium.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards