South Carolina-Charleston
Options

Vendor Reviews

I was married on Sunday, Sept 27th at Boone Hall Plantation. We wer married at 6 pm with 110 of our friends/family. We had stations instead of a sit down dinner. The vendor reviews on here always helped me when planning, so here are mine. Hope they help! Day of Coordinator: Megan Morgan, Luke Wilson Special Events http://www.lukesevents.com/ - Megan was amazing to work with. I did just DOC, but she put together all of my rental orders, dealt with all deliveries, set up and broke everything down, helped plan the conception/design and had recommendations for anything and everything else I needed. At the last minute, I needed extra signs and less tables, and she handled everything smoothly. The ideas she had for the ceremony and reception were great - both places were beautiful. Caterer: Grills Gone Wild, Donnie Oliver - Donnie does a lot of your BBQ and oyster roast caterings, but can definitely do a fantastic wedding. We had bbq sliders, lowcountry spring rolls, cheddar mashed potatoes and baked chicken, shrimp n grits ... He does southern food - but with a creative spin on it. Everyone loved the grazing table with pimento cheese and a variety of dips. Not your typical wedding food, but definitely the Charleston flare. Florist: Lillium Designs w. Luke Wilson Events - Would recommend 100%. The flowers were amazing. My bouquet was all whites/ivorys, while my girls had ivory, peach and navy. The boys all had sweetgrass roses as boutineers - which people loved. Kathryn had to track down specific berries I wanted and find someone who makes large quantities of sweetgrass roses at an affordable price. They were beautiful. Cake: Elaine's Events http://www.elainesevents.com/ - Nothing tops this cake. It was unbelievable. I only wish I'd had time to try all the layers! Elaine will take whatever your favorite flavors are and make something just for you - even if its not on her normal list. We had 3 flavors - chocolate with peanut butter filling, red velvet cake, and - my favorite - white creme de cocoa with raspberry cheesecake filling - yes, real cheesecake in there! The design was an ivory on ivory wrought iron pattern with a navy ribbon on each layer - simple and gorgeous. Photographer: Tillman Branch, Mike Mizzell www.tillmanbranch.com - Mike has been great to work with. The engagement session and bridal shoots were fantastic. He is very creative and finds very interesting shots that I don't think your average person would see. He was fun to work with and very accommodating. For the wedding, the ceremony shots were so beautiful. He just knows how to catch the light. He's not big into the posed pics though, so if you have a lof of those in mind, try to do most beforehand, as he wants time with you and your spouse right after. We had probably 1000 pictures to choose from and could definitely find 200 that we absolutely adored. Hair: Tanesha Dupree - Love, love, love my hair. I am not a fan of fixed hair. I was so nervous we would all look like we were going to prom. But Tanesha put together a soft, romantic look that I loved - and didn't move for about 8 hours! She was willing to come to me to do my hair, on a Sunday, and it was just me. She also fixed my mother in law and aunt's hair when they couldn't find a Sunday appointment. Make-Up: Christien Baxter, Your Make Up Gal http://www.yourmakeupgal.com/ - Christien was also great to work with. She did just my make up and then a bridesmaid on a last minute wish. I wanted a soft, natural look - my husband is one of those guys who prefers sweat pants and no make up - and she delivered. The pictures looked great and I didn't feel too made up - felt like myself. The make up lasted from 3-12 and didn't look shiny or runny in pictures. Dress: Belle Couture Bridal, Mt Pleasant - I bought my dress during a sample sale at Belle Couture. Sarah, the owner, was amazing to work with and I ended up getting a beautiful Melissa Sweet dress for $1500, instead of the $4250 retail. Alterations: A Stitch Witch, West Ashley - While a little pricey, they did a lot of work to the dress. I paid $300 to have it hemmed, put in cups, take in waist, add a bustle to the dress, and steamed/pressed it. I'm not sure what that would cost elsewhere, but it seemed expensive. The dress had an insanely detailed lace bottom, that I'm sure was a nightmare to hem, and they did a beautiful job. Invitations: Heather Forsythe Designs http://heatherforsythedesigns.wordpress.com/ - Heather was great to work with. She created a custom wrought-iron gate inspired design and worked quickly. Everyone raved over our invitations and I'd definitely use her again for special events. Music: Ceremony - Steven Fiore Steven is a local singer/songwriter with an amazing voice. He played guitar and his girlfriend played violin. I don't think he does weddings for the most part, but you should check him out in general - www.myspace.com/stevenfiore. Reception - DJ Sonar of the Spaced Invaders - Jason is not a normal wedding DJ. I asked for nothing with directions for the most part - no chicken dance, no YMCA, etc - and he delivered, but kept people dancing. I think those are the main ones you'd ask about. I'll have a flickr acct with pictures soon. Good luck with your planning!

Re: Vendor Reviews

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations! I haven't shored up all of my vendors yet, but so far we have quite a few in common. I am also using Megan Morgan as my DOC, and so far my experience has been similar to yours. I also bought my dress from Belle Couture, and I can't say enough nice things about Sarah. I am curious though, is there a reason why you chose to have your dress altered somewhere else? I too bought a sample dress but I haven't started with my fittings yet, and I just thought I would get them done at the store. I am also considering using Tanesha Dupree, do you mind telling me what she charged for your hair and the others? Elaine's Events is also on my list, my question is after you tasted her signature cake did you go back and try other cakes and fillings before you signed the contract? Lastly, who did you use as an officiant, and what did they charge? I can't wait to see your photos, I'm sure it will be beautiful! TIA!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations on your wedding! Your pictures on Tillman Branch are beautiful! Do you have a picture of your cake??
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Luna: When I bought my dress from Belle, they recommended the Stitch Witch. I thought because I bought a sample gown, they didn't do the alterations. Maybe I just didn't know any better! I'm sure they would do a lovely job. I would highly recommend Tanesha. I paid $175 for my hair - which included the trail, which I used for my bridal session, day of hair and her traveling to me - on a Sunday. I'm not sure what she charged my MIL - maybe $40? I think she has group rates though, if you and your bridesmaids are having your hair done. I did not go back after the first tasting with Elaine. I mentioned my love of peanut butter and she immediately brought out some peanut butter filling and I was sold. Everything I tried was great, so I wasn't worried about ordering something I hadn't tried before. I highly suggest getting one layer with the cheesecake filling - real cheesecake! People raved. My father is actually a minister, so he and another minister (his best friend from college) tag-teamed the wedding. He walked me in, the 2nd minister did the readings, etc. and then my dad officially married us. Here is the link for Tillman Branch's blog: http://mikemizzell.blogspot.com/2009/10/michael-and-kristens-cotton-dock.html Good pictures of hair and make up - and the cake!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Your photos are beautiful, Tillman did a fanstastic job.  Thank you for answering my questions
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Do you have contact information for Tanesha Dupree, the hair stylist?Thanks
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    neeneedupree@comcast.net
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards