South Carolina-Charleston

Saint John the Baptist Cathedral

My fiance and I are from Wilmington, DE and are planning our wedding for next September in Charleston. We really want to get married at Saint John the Baptist Cathedral, he is catholic and I am episcopalian so we will just be having a ceremony, not a full mass. However, after speaking with the nun in charge of weddings she told us that we have to provide our own priest or deacon for the ceremony. We can ask our local priest to come down but it will cost upwards of $2,000 in airfare and hotel rooms. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you manage it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Saint John the Baptist Cathedral

• edited December 2011
    Yep, and St. Mary's is the same price (and managed by the same nun) and they only allow Saturday weddings.  My fiance and I are both Catholic but live out of town too.  Getting married in the church was very important for us.  Let me tell you ~ being an out of town catholic bride in Charleston is NOT easy.  This is a big push from the Diocese to stop it.  Charleston is a very popular wedding city (apparently its in the top 5) and people from other states want to come and get married in our beautiful churches.  The trouble is that the priests are too busy and too few. 
    St. Patricks downtown is the same way... you must provide your own priest.  Stella Maris on Sullivans doesn't like it either.  I am getting married at Christ Our King and the only way I am able to do that is because I grew up in that parish.  I had to write a formal letter to the priest and he agreed but he would only marry us at Chris Our King, he would not go downtown.
    We're going to second-line into the New Year! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards