South Carolina-Charleston

Help finding seamstress

Ladies help please! How can you know who to trust with bridal gown alterations? I bought my dress out of state, now am looking at two places in Charleston, SC to do alterations. A Stitch Witch or Jean's Bridal. Online reviews look like there is more of a personal attack on a lady at the stitch witch (only one person), where as several people had bad things to say about Jean's Bridal...the actual alteration work...HOWEVER, Jean's Bridal is familiar with the dress I bought since its one of their vendors....How do I choose? Anyone have personal experiences with either of these places?
Thanks!

Ladies help please! How can you know who to trust with bridal gown alterations? I bought my dress out of state, now am looking at two places in Charleston, SC to do alterations. A Stitch Witch or Jean's Bridal. Online reviews look like there is more of a personal attack on a lady at the stitch witch (only one person), where as several people had bad things to say about Jean's Bridal...the actual alteration work...HOWEVER, Jean's Bridal is familiar with the dress I bought since its one of their vendors....How do I choose? Anyone have personal experiences with either of these places?
Thanks!

Ladies! I need your help! Need to find a local seamstress to do my alterations. Bought my dress in CT, but wedding is in Charleston. Does anybody have any personal experiences with A Stitch Witch (West Ashley) or Jean's Bridal in Mt. P.?

Re: Help finding seamstress

• JS888JS888 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually have the same question! I am a boston bride with 4 South Carolina bridesmaids. They are all family and on the younger side (ages 20, 18, 11 and 9) so they do not have any friends who have been in a wedding recently.  

Will a bridal shop in SC handle alterations on a dress they did not sell? Up in MA where I live they will not touch a dress from another store during peak season.

Any recommendations for a good seamstress in the Charleston or Summerville area would be great!  TIA
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think you will find a dress shop that will not do your alterations if you did not buy it there. I am from Charleston, live in upstate SC, and I'm getting my alterations done in upstate SC. How soon are y'all coming down for your wedding? I'm doing fittings at 6 weeks, 4 weeks and 2 weeks I think. Will you be down here then? If not, I'd recommend getting a seamstress where you live and then bringing the dress down with you.

I have heard good things about Stitch Witch, my mom has used them before. Don't know much about Jean's Bridal as far as alterations, but did shop there. I am pretty sure Bridals by Jodi would do alterations- I don't know much about their alterations, but the actual people who work there are amazing and every time I have been in there, whether shopping for my own dress, or helping friends shop for their dress, I have always been pleased. The only reason I did not buy my dress from there was because they did not have "THE dress". By the way, they are located in the north area, across from Northwoods Mall. Not in Summerville, but probably 10-15 minutes away depending on where you are in Summerville. Probably 20-30 minutes from downtown.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Try Martha Hughes at Just a Tuck She does great work at resonable prices. her number 843-769-5324. She has been sewing for me for years and did the alterations on my daughters wedding gown this past fall. She is located on Wappoo Rd. West Ashley.
  • caspia28caspia28 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for all the suggestions. I've also heard that Maria's on south windemere is good. But I will look into Martha Hughes
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards