South Carolina-Charleston

Catholic church- charleston sc?

I am getting married in Charleston in June in an outdoor ceremony. We also want to have a small (family only) ceremony in a catholic church when we get back from our honeymoon, to make it official by the church. My fiancé is not Catholic and I know some churches have an issue with that. Can anyone tell me the names of catholic churches dowtown where we could have the ceremony? Thank you!!

Re: Catholic church- charleston sc?

• edited December 2011
    I am getting married in Charleston in June in an outdoor ceremony. We also want to have a small (family only) ceremony in a catholic church when we get back from our honeymoon, to make it official by the church. My fiancé is not Catholic and I know some churches have an issue with that. Can anyone tell me the names of catholic churches dowtown where we could have the ceremony? Thank you!!
  • Try Saint Patrick's first. Otherwise there is the Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist and Saint Mary's both are very beautiful, but have very strict rules.

Most Catholic Churches don't have (or shouldn't have) a problem marrying interfaith couples, it just can't be done during within a Holy Mass. You will, however, have to go through pre-marriage counseling which includes pre-cana classes. 

If you're looking at June try to contact them as soon as possible, most churches require you to contact them at least six months before the ceremony and June is a very popular month.
  • I think Our Lady of Good Councel on Folly Beach will allow that.
  • Technically if you're already married it's a convalidation ceremony.  The cathedral and St. Mary's have a lot of rules and a very strict nun that runs things!    I would check with one  of the churches that are a little more lenient with their rules!!  Good luck with everything!! 
  • Thank you all very much! I havent heard of our lady of good counsel, but ill look into all of these. Saint Mary's was a top pick because it is such a goregous church and very intimate/small, but since you told me they may be strict then I will try St Patricks first. I appreciate the help!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards