South Carolina-Charleston

Citadel/Summerall Chapel Brides

Hey everyone!

So we are having our wedding at the Summerall Chapel at the Citadel. We have our date set but we need to pick our time for the ceremony. I have always assumed that I would have a 5 or 5:30 pm wedding.... but the Chapel only does 4 pm or 6 pm (because they may have several in a day). We definitely want an evening reception and for it to be a great party that we can enjoy. My concern with 4 pm is that with our short ceremony (30 min or so) the reception will be early and not seem as much as of a party as we would like. However, my mom brought up the fact that 6 pm may mean the reception starts kind of late (after pictures) and we have a short party (with many Charleston places having rules of when to be out).

Any advice on this??  Thanks!

Re: Citadel/Summerall Chapel Brides

• ScMOBScMOB member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_citadelsummerall-chapel-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:600Discussion:4e05976b-a9a0-4d17-8aeb-1a18ea99202dPost:86fdd6e6-4705-4678-8c94-be2e5470eec4">Citadel/Summerall Chapel Brides</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey everyone! So we are having our wedding at the Summerall Chapel at the Citadel. We have our date set but we need to pick our time for the ceremony. I have always assumed that I would have a 5 or 5:30 pm wedding.... but the Chapel only does 4 pm or 6 pm (because they may have several in a day). We definitely want an evening reception and for it to be a great party that we can enjoy. My concern with 4 pm is that with our short ceremony (30 min or so) the reception will be early and not seem as much as of a party as we would like. However, my mom brought up the fact that 6 pm may mean the reception starts kind of late (after pictures) and we have a short party (with many Charleston places having rules of when to be out). Any advice on this??  Thanks!
    Posted by kballance[/QUOTE]
    Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!   
    My oldest daugter got married at the Summerall Chapel 2 years ago.  She had a 2pm wedding and the reception started around 3:30 til the service was over and everyone drove out to Mt. Pleasant for the reception.  She got married in April, so it stayed light until around 7:30 or 8pm if I remember correctly. 
    My middle daughter just got married at the William Aiken House 2 months ago.  The wedding started at 6 and the reception right after at 6:30....we partied until 11p!

I think it all depends on the time of year of your wedding and where the reception will be held.  If you get married at 6p and the guests have a ways to go for the reception, you might do better getting married earlier.  I don't think 4 is too early, but then too it depends how long you can have your reception venue...and if you want to have a "send off" when it's dark out!
    Good Luck!!
  • I would pick the 4pm option. If your ceremony is 30 mins guests will get to their by 4:40. By the time they get to the reception venue it will be 5. Then you can still party late into the night! This will also make it to where guests won't be eating late.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards