South Carolina-Charleston

Small wedding in Charelston

Question:  Need wedding venue and place for dinner for 25 – 30 guests.  Not looking for a typical reception site, just a place to celebrate with close family over great food and drinks.  Ideas??

Details:  We live in VA and our families live up north.  We want a VERY small wedding, so we thought we would make it a destination wedding to Charleston, since everyone has to travel anyways and no one in our group has been there, yet.  So I know NOTHING about this city, except that it is filled with history and it’s near the water. 

I would prefer for everything to be close, maybe even walking distance from the hotel, ceremony and dinner. All suggestions are welcome.  

OH, and we are hoping to get married this November, so we are in a little bit of a time crunch.  Can you tell that I need LOTS of help??

Thanks!!

Re: Small wedding in Charelston

• katydid2014katydid2014 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    We had our reception with 30 people in an upstairs private dining room at McCrady's restaurant. It was perfect and fairly affordable considering some of the expenses you can incur at other sites.  You mentioned wanting somewhere walking distance from a hotel and ceremony, but you didn't say where these places are.  We had our ceremony at the Confederate Home on Broad Street.
  • edited December 2011
    I'd definitely second McCrady's restaurant!
  • acausey6879acausey6879 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOVE McCradys!!!!!

High Cotton also has a private room...I went to a rehearsal dinner there and it was lovely!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the great ideas, I will research.  

Katie:  as for not including any other information about location, that is because we don't have any thoughts for any parts of this wedding.  We need to plan everything.  If someone wants to do this for me, just let me know and we can discuss further   :)    Not looking forward to wedding planning one bit.

I do appreciate all your help ladies!!!
    edited December 2011
    Here is a link to my vendor reviews: http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_vendor-reviews-pretty-long

If you want to deal with renting tables, chairs, ect, then you could do your cerremony and reception at the Confederate Home.  Just note it is hard to catch someone on the phone there, you have to keep trying.  And being as you are planning from a distance, you may really benefit from hiring a planner here in town.  Yoj Events is who I used and they were fabulous.
  • edited December 2011
    You rock....THANKS!!
  • khemmert12khemmert12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    McCrady's is awesome.  I've been to two weddings there and it's absolutely gorgeous.

We're having our rehearsal dinner at the Post House.  There food is awesome, perfect size for us and a great atmosphere in the Old Village in Mt. P. And I just saw this post that the same companies owns High Cotton, too, so I'm sure their food is great, as well.   http://alowcountrywedding.blogspot.com/2011/06/part-i-wedding-weekend-venues.html
  • edited December 2011
    Private messaged you!
  • edited December 2011
    We had a small wedding in downtown Charleston - and it was very inexpensive too! We held the ceremony at the Charleston waterfront park. I think it cost us about $50for the permit. You just have to contact the Department of Recreation to reserve the space. Then, we rode up to Gilligan's restaurant, on Market Street, which has a big open upstairs area too. It cost us nothing to reserve the upstairs, as long as everyone ordered food (which they did). It was great, we were able to set up a stereo for music, had a table for our cake, all of the "traditional" reception stuff, but with an intimate, inexpensive and fun atmosphere.

You can even get a horsedrawn carriage between your ceremony and reception. :)
  • edited December 2011
    To mdbarnett .... When did you get your permit? I called the other day and was told it was $340 for the Battery Gazebo.
    edited December 2011
    To ENewcomb25 - The Battery Gazebo is a different location as the Waterfront Park.  Waterfront Park is farther up the east side of the peninsula, facing Patriots Point.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards