South Carolina-Charleston
Options

Alterations?

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a good Charleston alterations shop? I ordered my wedding dress at a store out of town, but obviously I want to have my alterations done down here. I've already tried the dress on once and alterations should be fairly minor - a hem, some cups :)

Do you have any recommendations for affordable, but good alterations? I have already called A Stitch Witch, but wanted to see if there was anyone else that I should check out. Places NOT to go to are welcome as well :)

Thanks!

Re: Alterations?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I heard The Dressing room was good and that they have fair prices. thats where im taking mine to be altered.. Heres a link with the address and phone number.

http://littleworksofheart.typepad.com/upperkingcharleston/the-dressing-room.html
  • Options
    cougarettecougarette member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've also heard good things about The Dressing Room. 

I got my dress done at A Stitch Witch, and I was happy.  But she was a total b!tch to my bridesmaids and I wasn't happy about that.  They ended up taking their dresses to Island Alterations on James Island.  They did a really good job, but I'm not sure when it comes to wedding gowns.

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
    Amanda (cougarette) has read 10 books toward her goal of 75 books.
    hide
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I have an amazing seamstress and an amazing alterations story! 

I purchased a bridesmaids dress from David's Bridal and was told by two separate attendants in two separate stores that any of their dresses could be altered up or down 2 sizes.  So, naturally, I purchased my dress in a size smaller than normal, hoping to lose weight by the time I had to wear the dress.  Although I did lose a few lbs, the dress was still a little too tight, so I was planning on taking it to David's Bridal to have it let out just a bit.  Then, I heard from not one but two of the other girls that they were told by two separate employees in two separate stores that it was impossible to let their dresses out at all.  I repeat, they were told it was IMPOSSIBLE to alter their dresses. 

Luckily for me, I just happened to find out that my neighbor & his wife were seamstresses, so I showed them my dress and asked their opinion.  They looked over the dress and told me it would be very difficult, but it was not IMPOSSIBLE to let my dress out.  They proceeded to show me exactly what could be done and how they could let out a little here and let out a little there so I would be able to breathe during my cousins wedding.

So, I gave them my dress on a Thursday evening and was called to pick it up on Friday afternoon.  I paid an incredibly reasonable price and my dress FITS PERFECTLY and the most amazing part about it is that I never ONCE tried the dress on for them!!!! Not kidding!!!!!!

I highly, highly recommend Robert & Marti for alterations not only because they are incredibly professional & did a great job, but also because they got me out of a bind and pulled off something that was "impossible" to do. 

Here's their website www.americleansc.com and in a few weeks, they are launching a new site dedicated solely to bridal alterations, www.bridalalterations.com

Good luck!!!!

My Food Blog: Slim Pickin's Kitchen Our Wedding Website Photobucket Anniversary Daisypath Halloween tickers BabyFruit Ticker BFP #1: Mother's Day 5/13/12...m/c Memorial Day Weekend 5/26/12 BFP #2: 2/16/13...Please, baby, please be a sticky *fingers crossed*
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to the dressing room.  Very nice people and they did a great job.  250 for a hem, bustle, and the bust taken in.
  • Options
    Ems2684Ems2684 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks all! I'll definitely check out the Dressing Room, as well as Robert and Marti. Much appreciated!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards