South Carolina-Charleston
Options

Overwhelmed in SC

I feel like most litte girls dream about their future wedding dresses their whole lives, and now that I am planning my own wedding, i thought that i would be the same. was i ever wrong! Ive found myself becoming more and more OBSESSED with searching for the perfect reception site as the days go by instead of invisioning mysef in white lace...with that being said, does anyone know of any "rustic" reception(im open to the ceremony being held there as well) locations near Charleston SC? More specifically, near Summerville, SC. by rustic, i dont really mean cow patties and ant hills, but more along the lines of exposed beams and brick floors. ANY help would be appreciated!

Re: Overwhelmed in SC

• Options
    I am having my reception at the historic rice mill.... It is not near Summerville thought... It has a gorgeous view, it's an actual historical site and it has exposed brick, tin cieling, etc... and they are wonderful to work with and the food is amazing. You can also have the ceremony there depending on the number of guests. They're not cheap but I fell in love...
    here's their link:
     http://www.goodfoodcatering.net/rice_mill.html

Don't ger overwhelmed! I found my reception site before I even started looking for my dress. After I could picture where everything was happening I could better vision the rest! Are you from Charleston or planning from a distance? Our photographer and florist are both from the Summerville area so if you find a place near Summerville and need reviews or referrals, so far both seem great but the wedding isn't for 3 months so we will see :)

Do you have a Theme or colors??

Good Luck!

• Options
    MaliBlueCrewMaliBlueCrew member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Check out Pepper Plantation in Awendaw.  (It is just outside of Mt.Pleasant).  It is not really near Summerville but it is really nice and has that rustic feel.  We attended a wedding there last month.  There is plenty of room to have a ceremony with gorgeous water views and rocking chairs on the huge porch.
  • Options
    @AshTim20 @MaliBlueCrew, thank you! I hadnt checked into the Historic Rice Mill yet but Ive heard of it, and i am IN LOVE with the Pepper Plantation in Awendaw. im not sure if it will be too far for some of the people who are coming from out of town to drive though but its really gorgeous.  I am from charleston. Born and raised and never left lol but im the kicker with my wedding planning is that my fiance actually lives in Atlanta so we are doing the majority of our planning via phone and Skype and such. which makes it a little harder to check out venues.  We arent positive yet are if we will be living in charleston or in Atlanta once we get married but we do know that we want our wedding to take place in the charleston area! Thank you again for your help!
  • Options
    You should also check out Harborside East in Mt. Pleasant.  While it is not "rustic" it is located on the water just over the bridge from downtown Charleston.  They have plenty of space for an outside ceremony and beautiful views of the Yorktown, the bridge and downtown Charleston. There are so many great places in and around Charleston for a wedding and reception. I'm sure you'll find your perfect place!

Good luck!
  • Options
    Also the Cotton Dock at Boone Hall Plantation. It's gorgeous. Rustic and right on the marsh.
  • Options
    I feel your pain! We ended up at Harborside but I would also recommend the Creek Club at I'on as well if you have less than 100.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_overwhelmed-in-sc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:600Discussion:f551e700-6b8b-4964-b57b-5dc5e19ad613Post:b2cc1098-d81f-4be8-854e-06c629ab7737">Re: Overwhelmed in SC</a>:
    [QUOTE]I feel your pain! We ended up at Harborside but I would also recommend the Creek Club at I'on as well if you have less than 100.
    Posted by worldgolf[/QUOTE]

. I just got a card in the mail about Harborside East and I've been in recent contact with the event coordinator there just trying to get some quotes and info and such. What can you tell me about from a bridal perspective?? My new-ish issue is trying to decide if we want to do the ceremony at one of our churches in Summerville sc and then travel to the reception or to hold the ceremony and reception at the same location
  • Options
    Pepper plantation in Awendaw, SC is awesome.The Gatherings in Dorchester, SC (15" outside Summerville) is a huge barn-looking structure. It is fantastic as well.
    We'll marry you for FREE w/ our affordable photography pkgs. We're running a special now for unlimited time $995. We'd love to chat with you.
  • Options
    i went to a wedding this past weekend at the Gatherings in Dorchester. It seems a little out in the middle of no where, but it was beautiful!
  • Options
    what was the inside of the gatherings like? i looked on their website because i liked the way the outside of the building looked but the website said that the inside was already decorated in silver and black colors. not that those wouldnt be pretty on their own, they just dont really mesh well with the colors ive chosen for my wedding...
    in Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_overwhelmed-in-sc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:600Discussion:f551e700-6b8b-4964-b57b-5dc5e19ad613Post:0e723271-162a-47dd-819a-8a46aa3662b1">Re: Overwhelmed in SC</a>:
    [QUOTE]i went to a wedding this past weekend at the Gatherings in Dorchester. It seems a little out in the middle of no where, but it was beautiful!
    Posted by scubasmurf0700[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_overwhelmed-in-sc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:600Discussion:f551e700-6b8b-4964-b57b-5dc5e19ad613Post:3699c002-85ed-40e5-b077-7abd10f84ec7">Re: Overwhelmed in SC</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Overwhelmed in SC : . I just got a card in the mail about Harborside East and I've been in recent contact with the event coordinator there just trying to get some quotes and info and such. What can you tell me about from a bridal perspective?? My new-ish issue is trying to decide if we want to do the ceremony at one of our churches in Summerville sc and then travel to the reception or to hold the ceremony and reception at the same location
    Posted by caseynm13[/QUOTE]

There is a rental fee but most places who don't offer in-house catering in Charleston have them.  We are using the terrace and reception space and there was no additional charge for the ceremony.  If you can deal with the rental fee you can really shop around for caterers which can help you save a lot of money.  However, if you have more than 75 people you will have to rent tables and chairs to accommodate everyone.  Max seating inside is around 110.  The contact has been great and not difficult to get ahold of.  One last note...event insurance is required which is a couple hundred dollars based on the quotes I have received.  If you have more questions let me know!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards