California-Bay Area

Change of location at 8 months...

Hi, here is my dilemma. I am hoping someone out there might help? :) My Fi and I put down a deposit (2k) on a hotel venue, specifically the Sainte Claire in their small room. Granted, I knew it was small but I hadn't seen it set up for a reception. We are having around 96 guests, let's say around 100 will be there. I wanted a downtown wedding because we are getting married at the St. Joseph's Cathedral just a few blocks down. I'm not a rich girl, so other places around the area were too expensive for us. The grande ballroom at the Sainte Claire is beautiful, but too much for us. My parents had their 25th wedding anniversary at David's Banquet in Santa Clara, which is very reasonably priced. Now I want to have the reception there. Our wedding is scheduled for July 10, 2010. Save-the-dates have been made, (no indication of venue of course) but have not worked on invitations yet. What to do at this point? Yikes. Thanks for reading!

Re: Change of location at 8 months...

• edited December 2011
    I'm guessing that the deposit is non-refundable.  I think you need to see if David's is still a better deal if you loose $2K.  If there is significantly more than a $2K savings then I understand why you would move it.  Otherwise it really doesn't make sense to lose the money and the downtown reception you want.Another idea if you are set on moving the venue and will lose some or part of the deposit is to request to move it to the previous day and have that $ go toward the rehearsal dinner.  Even if you weren't planning on having such an elaborate rehearsal dinner it's better than losing the $.Also, I'm not clear on whether or not the room you have reserved at the St. Claire will has a maximum capacity under 100.  If so they may not allow you to have a larger guest list due to fire codes so the rehearsal dinner idea might be better.Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for your input! Turns out, we got the Grande Ballroom for the same price, just switched our date to a Sunday. :) It worked out and I could not be happier. Your wedding is in 6 months, how exciting!
  • edited December 2011
    Hello ,     My name is Victoria Boyd and I have some experience in planning special events. I am starting my own wedding planning business here in the bay area, and I am looking towards helping some clients for a lower cost.  I will be willing to not only find you a place for reception, but help you with whatever else needs to be planned or done.  My compensation, if any, will just be letters of reference and pictures of your wedding, and a very small monetary price.  Please allow me to help you, I am very nice, detail-oriented, and I currently reside in the East Bay.  Please email me at forevercommitted@gmail.com.  Happy Thanksgiving.
  • edited December 2011
    Hello ,     My name is Victoria Boyd and I have some experience in planning special events. I am starting my own wedding planning business here in the bay area, and I am looking towards helping some clients for a lower cost.  I will be willing to not only find you a place for reception, but help you with whatever else needs to be planned or done.  My compensation, if any, will just be letters of reference and pictures of your wedding, and a very small monetary price.  Please allow me to help you, I am very nice, detail-oriented, and I currently reside in the East Bay.  Please email me at forevercommitted@gmail.com.  Happy Thanksgiving.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards