California-Bay Area

NWR: Moving from Chicago to San Francisco a week before the wedding & need apartment finding hel

Hi Ladies! I hope you don't mind me crashing your board :) I'm not sure where else to go to get this info.

Long story short, FI and I are moving to the Bay Area this August. We're driving from Chicago to San Francisco, staying with a friend for five days, and then flying back out for a Minneapolis wedding. During those five days, we need to find an apartment in San Francisco and coordinate our moving truck arriving before the wedding. Gah.

I've head of friends in Chicago who have used apartment finding services with great success. I've looked for some online, but I'm having a hard time finding a reputable service. I would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations! Ideally, I'd be looking for something that would take down our specifications (neighborhood, price, # of bedrooms, etc.) and then show us a bunch during a 1-2 day period.

Thanks so much for reading.

Oh, and if you have a friend looking to move out of a 1-BR apartment in the Russian Hill or Nob Hill area in September, let me know ;)

Re: NWR: Moving from Chicago to San Francisco a week before the wedding & need apartment finding hel

• edited December 2011
    im no help with using a service, but i personally have had great luck with craigslist. i was able to set up appointments with people and see tons of apts on the same day, but it is a lot of work.

have you tried yelp?

maybe some of the other ladies have suggestions.
  • edited December 2011
    same here - i dont have a service for you.  but i live in an Avalon community and we absolutely LOVE it.  we are in SOMA - there is also another location in Nob Hill - but its not as new or as nice as the SOMA locations.  (there are 3 phases in SOMA) 
    we used craigslist when we moved here as well - but we ended up at the Avalon which was the first place we looked at.  there are SO many amenities that you just cant beat it.
    HTH!  GL!
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I found my apartment using craigslist too.  Craigslist is huge out here.

The larger apartment communities are better if you want to look for an apartment in advance.
  • katmstrangekatmstrange member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!

I am actually moving out of my one bedroom apt right on the border of Nob Hill/Russian Hill on Sept 1. We pay $1475/month, not sure if the owners will keep the same rate when we move or not.

We rent our apt out to out-of-towners all the time on aribnb.com if you want to check  out pics here's the LINK
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 132 Invited so far! image 110 Are ready to party!
    image 12 Will be missing out
  • polichikpolichik member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Holy cow, kat!! That's EXACTLY what we're looking for, EXACTLY when we want it!!! Would you be comfortable talking over e-mail?
  • edited December 2011
    Try using Craigslist or rent.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kuddles220kuddles220 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good luck to you and your transition, I moved here from Detroit many years ago.
  • edited December 2011
    I wish I'd discovered padmapper.com when I moved out here. They basically take all the listings on Craigslist and put them on a map, so you can narrow down to neighborhoods/streets you're interested in.
  • polichikpolichik member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-bay-area_nwr-moving-chicago-san-francisco-week-before-wedding-need-apartment-finding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:602Discussion:18bd3e6d-c004-496a-9cdb-fc0e6d71bfc5Post:81d8d550-b353-4622-989b-9512d1051b57">Re: NWR: Moving from Chicago to San Francisco a week before the wedding & need apartment finding help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wish I'd discovered padmapper.com when I moved out here. They basically take all the listings on Craigslist and put them on a map, so you can narrow down to neighborhoods/streets you're interested in.
    Posted by suneeta[/QUOTE]

This is amazing! Thanks so much :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards