California-Bay Area

Chicago Knottie Seeks SF Knottie Insight!

Hi West Coast knotties!
My husband and I are going to a wedding in SF this weekend and will be in your great city through Monday.  We are staying in Union Square (Hotel Adagio) but we've both been to SF a few times before and have covered all the tourist attractions.  We're hoping this weekend would be more casual/relaxed and are looking for recommendations of places to eat (that are within walking distance or BART distance).  We want the "local" experience and a google search gave me way too many options so I thought I'd reach out to you on the Knot for any recs/advice.  Thanks in advance!

Re: Chicago Knottie Seeks SF Knottie Insight!

• edited December 2011

one of my fave restaurants in that vacinity is Zero Zero.  soooo good...

• leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Yelp.com is always your friend in the bay area.

Boogaloo's is a popular brunch spot about 3 blocks from the 24th St/Mission BART station. They have plantain cake (yum!), but the wait can be kind of long on the weekend.

I also love North Beach for food. North Beach is a short bus ride on the 30 Stockton from Union Square. Steps of Rome caffe is a must for dessert (not to be confused with Steps of Rome trattoria). The place is run by crazy Italian guys.

Sotto Mare - Italian seafood. Tiny restaurant, great clam chowder. They don't have dessert on the menu, so you can therefore go to the above Steps of Rome after.

Stinking Rose - popular garlic restaurant. Lots n lots of garlic.

Calzone's - Open until 1am if you need a late snack. I've only been once, but the fetuccine alfredo was excellent.

And just to show I know restaurants that aren't in North Beach...
    Manora Thai in SoMa is fantastic. I love the seafood skewers. I don't think they're open on Sundays, and you'd need to take MUNI (same underground station as BART) to get there.
  • edited December 2011
    Slanted Door
    NOPA (probs my fave resto in the city)
    Beretta
    SPORK
    Flour + Water
    Incanto

other stuff...
    -go to tartine bakery!
    -Suppenkuche has AMAZING German food.
    -Papalote for fish tacos
    -el tonayense taco truck...SO good.  the torta is amazing.
    -Humphry Slocombe ice cream
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go to the Ferry Building, ideally during the farmer's market.  Have lunch at the Slanted Door or Hog Island (yummy oysters and the best grilled cheese sandwhich ever).

Take the KLM line up to West Portal and walk around that neighborhood.  There are a bunch of cute restaurants and cafes there.  

If you're up for a jog, I've gone from Union Square to the Marina, then have brunch in the Marina and taxi it home.  On a clear day, it's so darned pretty running along the green.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards