California-Bay Area

XP: Honeymoon in San Francisco?

We want to go to San Francisco for our honeymoon. We'd prefer to stay downtown, in the Bay area where we can walk or ride the trolley. 

We'd be there in mid-September. I'd really like to see Alcatraz, but what else would you recommend? Where should we stay? Any must visit restaurants?

Re: XP: Honeymoon in San Francisco?

• edited December 2011
    We want to go to San Francisco for our honeymoon. We'd prefer to stay downtown, in the Bay area where we can walk or ride the trolley. 

We'd be there in mid-September. I'd really like to see Alcatraz, but what else would you recommend? Where should we stay? Any must visit restaurants?
  • edited December 2011

Rent bikes and ride over the Golden Gate Bridge into Sausaluto... then take the ferry back.  Also, maybe a night or two in Sonoma. We did the night tour of Alcatraz.  It was very cool. 

• emilyinchileemilyinchile member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure what you mean by "downtown in the Bay area." I think you might be a little unfamiliar with SF neighborhoods. I suggest staying near Union Square (not too far west of the square itself, as that gets you into the Tenderloin neighborhood). That's where a lot of the tourist action, including some cable cars, is.

I second the suggestion of the Alcatraz night tour, and you'll need to buy tickets in advance for that or any other Alcatraz tour. From Union Square you can walk to Chinatown and wander around there. Ghirardelli Square has yummy ice cream. On a nice day, the views from Coit Tower are great. You can also walk along Crissy Field to Fort Point right by the Golden Gate Bridge for some nice views. Pier 39 is touristy but fun, and you can see the sea lions. What kind of things do you like doing, and what kind of food do you like?

I've heard rave reviews of Gary Danko for fine dining but haven't been yet. The Ferry Building, especially on farmers' market days, has some great local foods. For Italian food, head to North Beach. Check yelp.com for restaurant reviews.
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I second Emily's suggestions.

FYI, the Bay Area is an expanse that covers about 75 miles from north to south. If you meant that you want to stay near the water, then you can certainly find lots of hotels in the Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39 area as well.

The SF Zoo is nice if you like zoos. There are also lots of things to see in Golden Gate park. I like the Conservatory of Flowers and the Japanese Friendship Garden.

If you're okay with taking the bus, you can get most anywhere in SF. 511.org has a trip planner to help with that.
  • edited December 2011
    Neither of us have ever been to California (at all). That was our one rule for picking an HM destination...some place that's new for both of us. Yes, we want to stay by the water. 

We like just about every kind of cuisine and love trying new things.

Thank you for your suggestions! 

Mandi
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards