California-Bay Area

XP--Advice on trip to SF area

Also going to post on northern Cali board

H and I are planning an anniversary trip in July, spending 4 days in San Fran and 2.5 days in the Carmel/Monterey area. I was hoping for some input from people familiar with this region.

Will 2 full days and a partial day be enough time to spend in Carmel/Monterey? We'd be driving down from SF probably mid-day Wed. We'd have to leave bright and early Sat morning to catch our flight. So really we'd be looking at Thurs. and Fri. We wanted to do some scenic hikes in Carmel, possibly do the 17 mile (?) drive, do some shopping and maybe some beach-going (I know it isn't a swimming type beach but we'd still like to enjoy it). Would two full days be enough? We really didn't want to stay a third night for cost issues.

Also, do you think Sat. afternoon-Wed. morning is enough time in SF? We've never been before. We wanted to do some touristy things like Alcatraz, Muir Woods, bike the bridge and explore Sausalito and we also really wanted to do a day tour to Napa wineries. I don't mind being on-the-go, but also don't want to miss something I had my heart set on.

Any advice on our itinerary? Would you spend more or less time in either of those locations? Any other must-dos in Carmel/Monterey that I didn't mention?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation

Re: XP--Advice on trip to SF area

• Hi-
      Yes... your plan sounds great. Two days in Carmel is enough... You really want to do 17 mile drive. It is just beautiful. Stop and pack a picnic... there are lots of cute places to stop and eat.  If you stop and get a drink at any of the hotels (pebble beach, spanish bay etc) you can go into 17 mile drive for free rather than paying the 10 bucks to get in. 
     Alcatraz is crazy busy now, because of the show, so make sure if that is a must do... you make plans early. 
      I LOVE taking the ferry from SF to tibberon and going to Sam's Cafe. http://www.samscafe.com/  It is warmer, and a beautiful little town to walk around. 
      ENJOY! 
  • I think if you prioritize your activities in each place, you will be fine. I've honestly never spent the night in Monterey, our honeymoon there will be the first time for either of us that it's more than a day trip. If you are interested in going to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, I would recommend leaving a good few hours for that. It's a favorite in my family. I can spend hours looking at fish. As for San Francisco...well, I go to SFSU but I so rarely do any of the touristy things that I really can't give you advice there. Last time I went to Alcatraz was after my Bat Mitzvah when we took my cousins. I drive over the Golden Gate Bridge all the time, but last time I walked it was Girl Scout bridging from Juniors to Cadettes. I can tell you that even though it is July, expect some fog and chilly wind in SF. On the coast as well. Like the Mark Twain saying, "I never spent a colder winter than a summer in San Francisco."
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-bay-area_xp-advice-on-trip-to-sf-area?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:602Discussion:ba65a5c9-3af8-4295-b9aa-b8c930367332Post:94a4cf06-9d2f-43cf-8523-b2e42ed3dad0">Re: XP--Advice on trip to SF area</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think if you prioritize your activities in each place, you will be fine. I've honestly never spent the night in Monterey, our honeymoon there will be the first time for either of us that it's more than a day trip. If you are interested in going to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, I would recommend leaving a good few hours for that. It's a favorite in my family. I can spend hours looking at fish. As for San Francisco...well, I go to SFSU but I so rarely do any of the touristy things that I really can't give you advice there. Last time I went to Alcatraz was after my Bat Mitzvah when we took my cousins. I drive over the Golden Gate Bridge all the time, but last time I walked it was Girl Scout bridging from Juniors to Cadettes<strong>. I can tell you that even though it is July, expect some fog and chilly wind in SF. On the coast as well. Like the Mark Twain saying, "I never spent a colder winter than a summer in San Francisco."</strong>
    Posted by Bonzo2011[/QUOTE]

Ha! Yup we heard that. We are actually looking forward to the cooler weather because it is usually humid and mid-90s in July in the Midwest.

Thanks for the tips!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-bay-area_xp-advice-on-trip-to-sf-area?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:602Discussion:ba65a5c9-3af8-4295-b9aa-b8c930367332Post:c9cdef62-9ce1-4b84-9ee2-370bcd3e9fd8">Re: XP--Advice on trip to SF area</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: XP--Advice on trip to SF area : Ha! Yup we heard that. We are actually looking forward to the cooler weather because it is usually humid and mid-90s in July in the Midwest. Thanks for the tips!
    Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]

That's one of the main reasons my dad hates visiting our family in NY during the summer! He can't stand the humidity.

Oh, and I cant remember is July is good whale watching time, but there are always whale watching boats in Monterey. I've never been, but it could be fun.

And, in SF, Golden Gate Park is great. There's the de Young Museum (art), the California Academy of Science, the botanical gardens, Japanese tea gardens, the lake. It can make for a very fun day, or less depending on your time. Just expect to pay a lot for parking!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards