Georgia-Savannah

Post Ceremony Restaurant Recommendation - Seafood Please!

My almost husband and I are getting married on Skidaway Island on November 6. We are looking for a restaurant in Savannah to have dinner afterwards. We don’t want anything super fancy or expensive; we’re looking for a fairly casual place with a southern vibe that has great seafood. We will have around 15-20 people in our party. Any suggestions?

Re: Post Ceremony Restaurant Recommendation - Seafood Please!

• edited December 2011
    Vics on the River if you want a private room. They have a room that is just that size, and a nice atmosphere.
    At Tybee there is Marlin Monroes which is kind of touristy and not southern at all, or North Beach Grill (great fish tacos and escovitch but don't bother with the crabcakes). Also Crab Shack but that is super casual so dunno if you want that.
    Fiddlers is probably one of my favorite seafood restaurants here.
    If you want a really nice view of the marsh, and great seafood, try Pearls Saltwater Grille on LaRoche Avenue. Its a nice scenic drive from Skidaway Island to that location and the food is excellent.
    Sandi Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-savannah_post-ceremony-restaurant-recommendation-seafood-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:603Discussion:ef5ba8fb-9b94-498f-b0b8-debd9f0a16f6Post:e791b43f-b27a-4882-bbaf-b8b707e5842f">Re: Post Ceremony Restaurant Recommendation - Seafood Please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you want a really nice view of the marsh, and great seafood, try Pearls Saltwater Grille on LaRoche Avenue. Its a nice scenic drive from Skidaway Island to that location and the food is excellent.
    Posted by SandiJames[/QUOTE]

I cannot second this enough.  Pearl's has been my favorite seafood restaurant in Savannah since I was little, and it really is a great drive from Skidaway (and not too long - maybe 15-20 minutes tops, and that's if you drive slow and catch the lights).

Another good restaurant near Skidaway is the Driftaway Cafe.  It is really small and at the intersection of Ferguson and Skidaway (near Isle of Hope).  You pass it driving from Skidaway Island to Pearl's.  They have great seafood, but also wonderful sandwiches, etc. so if your guests are going to order off the menu, they'll have more variety than *just* seafood.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Married Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions, ladies! I was actually just looking at reviews of Pearl's on Yelp. So, if the restaurant is about 15 minutes from Skidaway, does that mean it's also about 15 minutes from downtown Savannah? Or do I have my Savannah geography mixed up? We will be staying in Savannah (not sure what hotel yet) after the ceremony and dinner.
  • iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Pearl's would be an excelent place for you.  It is about 15 min from Skidaway, but it would be closer to 25-30 min from Downtown depending on traffic. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Does anyone here know anything about The Oyster Bar on River Street? A friend's mom (who lives in Savannah) recommended it. What about River House Seafood?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-savannah_post-ceremony-restaurant-recommendation-seafood-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:603Discussion:ef5ba8fb-9b94-498f-b0b8-debd9f0a16f6Post:e791b43f-b27a-4882-bbaf-b8b707e5842f">Re: Post Ceremony Restaurant Recommendation - Seafood Please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Vics on the River if you want a private room. They have a room that is just that size, and a nice atmosphere. At Tybee there is Marlin Monroes which is kind of touristy and not southern at all, or North Beach Grill (great fish tacos and escovitch but don't bother with the crabcakes). Also Crab Shack but that is super casual so dunno if you want that. Fiddlers is probably one of my favorite seafood restaurants here. If you want a really nice view of the marsh, and great seafood, try Pearls Saltwater Grille on LaRoche Avenue. Its a nice scenic drive from Skidaway Island to that location and the food is excellent.
    Posted by SandiJames[/QUOTE]

I thought North Beach Grill was closed?  I liked the crabcakes there - crabcake sandwich was good. I second Pearl's also since your wedding will be on Skidaway.

For downtown -  I second Vic's, but may be pricy, but they have an upstairs private room and several menus at various price points.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-savannah_post-ceremony-restaurant-recommendation-seafood-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:603Discussion:ef5ba8fb-9b94-498f-b0b8-debd9f0a16f6Post:297f9093-fa50-4760-a2ab-5dc8cace9044">Re: Post Ceremony Restaurant Recommendation - Seafood Please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone here know anything about The Oyster Bar on River Street? A friend's mom (who lives in Savannah) recommended it. What about River House Seafood?
    Posted by 1010savvybride[/QUOTE]

I've never been to either of these (I am originally from Savannah but live in Atlanta), but then again, they may be newer. I also like Tubby's and the Chart House down town for seafood!

Hope this helps!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011

I've never been to the Oyster Bar so I cant speak to that.

elizp- NBG did close and then reopened. I absolutely LOVED the crabcake I had there years ago...it was quite memorable and that is saying a lot since I grew up on Maryland crabcakes. But sadly the chef must have taken his recipes! I was excited for my fiance to order it and we were so disappointed in it.

Vics has some group dinner menus starting at around $18.

But my vote is for Pearls!

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-savannah_post-ceremony-restaurant-recommendation-seafood-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:603Discussion:ef5ba8fb-9b94-498f-b0b8-debd9f0a16f6Post:297f9093-fa50-4760-a2ab-5dc8cace9044">Re: Post Ceremony Restaurant Recomendation - Seafood Please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone here know anything about The Oyster Bar on River Street? A friend's mom (who lives in Savannah) recommended it. What about River House Seafood?
    Posted by 1010savvybride[/QUOTE]
    These two establishments have been on River St for many many years.  The Oyster Bar is ok, but there are far better places.  The River House is pretty good.  I would recomend Pearl's over both of them, though.  The view is nicer, the food is better, parking is less of a headache and it is closer to your ceremony venue. 
    I wouldn't choose anything on River St on a Friday or Saturday night.  Your guests will either ride for 30 min looking for parking spots or they will have to walk 1/2 mile to a mile to park in a garage. 
  • edited December 2011
    Sandi James...glad to hear that they re-opended, but sad about the crab cakes!  I will have to go next time I am on Tybee.

I think Pearls too...agree with iluvmytxrgr...do they still have those "hush puppies" they bring out before the meal? More like donuts but wow those things are awesome. When I was a kid this was the only reason I would go there.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Nothing on River Street...they have a touristy vibe (TOO casual) and the seafood is marginal at best.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-savannah_post-ceremony-restaurant-recommendation-seafood-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:603Discussion:ef5ba8fb-9b94-498f-b0b8-debd9f0a16f6Post:d1fba149-b2d2-4d24-8dd8-70406cf649b6">Re: Post Ceremony Restaurant Recommendation - Seafood Please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nothing on River Street...they have a touristy vibe (TOO casual) and the seafood is marginal at best.
    Posted by kristi11876[/QUOTE]

So you've been to every place on River Street?  I only ask because I have.  There are actually some pretty good seafood places down there.  There are also some fairly high end restaurants on River St, so "TOO casual" isn't something I would generalize the entire street as.  My only issue with it is the lack of parking. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! In my excitement over seafood, I had overlooked the parking issue. I'll definitely take that into consideration when selecting a place. And I'll be in Savannah this weekend, so I can check out all the suggestions.
  • edited December 2011
    We decided to stay away from everything downtown because of the parking issues. We are getting married on Tybee and then having dinner at a restaurant on Wilmington Island because it is easy to find and we love the food there. Have a great visit this weekend!
  • edited December 2011
    I was merely giving my opinion...didn't realize I was subjecting myself to criticism.  I have been to many of the restaurants on River Street, although clearly not as many as you...and i've never particulary cared for the food quality or atmosphere.  Next time I'll check with you before I post to make sure we agree...I'd hate for my opinion to differ from yours.
    edited December 2011
    Oh, don't be friggin ridiculous. 
  • dancergirl104dancergirl104 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Olde Pink House.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards