Kentucky-Louisville

Bachelorette?

Hi Ladies, I am a bridesmaid in my friend's wedding. We live in Colorado. She'd like to have her bachelorette party at the KY Derby. In research for the event, I am wondering: - do I have to "know someone" to get tickets in the stands? How bad will they hurt my wallet? - what is a great hotel near lots of bars? - what are the best bars (she likes to dance but prefers places that are more bar-ish than clubbish) - is it best to fly directly into louisville? Are there other airports close by? Thanks alot- I know that I am asking so much!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bachelorette?

• edited December 2011
    The tickets are very reasonably priced--for general admission I think it is around $5.00.  You don't have to buys them in advance, you can wait until the day you go.  There are many hotels to choose from in the vicinity and when I say vicinity, I mean a half mile to a mile from the track.  As far as clubs and bars--I would suggest 4th Street Live, it is downtown and it is full of bars and clubs.  And yes, it would be best to fly directly into Louisville.  The airport is fairly close to the track.  I would suggest getting on hotels.com and putting in info for Louisville hotels and I think it mentions where the hotels are located--convention center, churchill downs,etc..   If you have never been, you are in for a treat.  Great idea that your friend had.  You can also stay downtown Louisville which is really close to the track and the bars.  Good luck!  
  • edited December 2011
    Oh girl.... you've asked some loaded questions... 1.) Unless you have deep pockets, you will pay h*ll getting tickets in the stands. However, in this economy, I am inclined to think that this just may be the year you will find someone wanting to sell theirs. But be forewarned.....they can run you several thousand dollars. There ARE less expensive alternatives though, such as "The Infield". But the trade off is.... um... well they party hard in the infield. It is a different type of crowd. Nuff said. Or, perhaps you could get tickets to The Oaks, which is a full day of racing the day before Derby and pretty much just as fun. 2.) Fourth Street Live is the heart of downtown and two great hotels are: 21C and The Seelbach Hilton. 3.) Fourth Street is a plethora of bars and clubs and interesting things to do. There is also an area of town called The Highlands (Frankfort, Baxter Ave and Bardstown Road) that is in full swing on the weekends. You will find smaller places there. 4.) Louisville is the only major airport - but Southwest has extremely good rates. Lexington has a small airport, but then you would have to drive here. Personally, I'd come straight into Louisville. Now go do some internet searches and see what you can dig up.....
  • edited December 2011
    I have no idea where the person got the info on tix only being $5.00. Even the infield for Derby day is at least $40-50. I went on Oaks Day and it was about $40 just for that over 5 yrs. ago. Yes, it's going to hurt your wallet. Hotels book up really really quick and will be charging way more than they normally do. Restaurants are filled to capacity. it's going to be a lot for a bachelorette party. And from Co you're looking at at least a 300 RT tix per person for airfare. and flying into Louisville is probably going to be the cheapest and easiest. Lexington is a smaller airport about 1 hr. away. Indy is about 2.5 hrs and Cincy is about 1.5-2 hrs away.
  • KentuckyKateKentuckyKate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe the first poster just meant Churchill Downs on a normal day is about $5? Anyway, that sounds like a great idea for a bachelorette party, but yes, you have to know someone with tickets or you go to the infield the day of. For the infield you wear play clothes, and I mean that! No dresses and cute hats, more like jogging shorts and tank tops, and you won't see a single horse all day. Think Mardi Gras and all that goes on at Mardi Gras. Then add mud wrestling. If this tells you anything, Girls Gone Wild did a KY Derby video. I worked in hospitality for a while, and I can tell you most of the hotels will require a 2-3 night minimum stay and will charge you about $1000/room for the weekend. Even 2 and 3 star hotels. Even in cities 2 hours away. But if you do come to Louisville.... Definitely use the Louisville airport, it is a breeze. Definitely go downtown for bars and hotels. Look at The Brown Hotel, The Seelbach, the new Marriott, and 21C. The Brown is affordable and is still a 4 star hotel, so that would be my recommendation, but you can walk to 4th St. Live from all of them, which is important. 4th St. Live is perfect for tourists. Bars, restaurants, comedy club, Hard Rock, Makers Mark Lounge... good stuff. Let us know what you end up doing!
    Abigail Rose, EDD 6/8/13 BabyFetus Ticker

Nose Job Blog
  • KentuckyKateKentuckyKate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, if you do have some deep pockets, and you want to buy Derby tickets you still can here. The cheapest tickets available are $240 each. http://derbybox.com/s.php?r=Kentucky-Derby-Tickets#sectionselect
    Abigail Rose, EDD 6/8/13 BabyFetus Ticker

Nose Job Blog
  • edited December 2011
    I bet the first poster did mean Churchill Downs on a normal day and not the Derby. I'd actually say consider going to Churchill on normal day it will be WAY more cost effective and just as fun. We did this for a friend of mine this past May and it was a blast. You can get tickets with great views or do a lunch and a private room. You will still be able to get a full day of racing and not have to deal with the INSANE crowds and extra costs. Really what is the difference? Unless you are a diehard horse racing fan is there a reason she wants to see the Derby? Just for the experience? If so I'd save it for another year. The Derby isn't really bachelorette party appropriate.As all the other said 4th Street is a great place with bars/entertainment. The Galt House is another place to consider it's a super short walk from 4th street and reasonable price for suites. We stayed there on my 21st birthday and it was fun! The 21C amazing but will cost you more.Definitely fly into Louisville. It's the easiest option.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards