Kentucky-Louisville
Options

Wedding colors....????

I am having a spring wedding. May 20th 2011. I have picked the bridesmaids dresses already. They are cornflower blue. I have not had any luck finding a blue flower to match so I chose white and bright orange.... Do you think that will be good colors?? I am also going to find a blue flower that will compliment the blue dresses... I like the way they look together but I just wanted opinions.

Re: Wedding colors....????

• Options
    inkygirlinkygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Blue and orange look gorgeous together!  I also love a blue and yellow wedding and pink looks great too.  Orange gives you lots of options for flowers:  gerberas and lillies are my fave orange flowers, but you also have zinnias and dahlias and orchids and roses. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think blue and orange could definitely work. My friend used cornflower blue and green in her wedding. I know she had blue flowers in the bouquet but I'm not a flower person so I have no idea what kind they are. The bridesmaids had alternating honey drew and cornflower dresses. Here's a picture:

I'm sure your florist will have some great ideas for you!
  • Options
    ZachandMereZachandMere member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I might do a more "anchoring" color with the blue like a dark pink or navy or something deep.  You could also stick with blue/white (if you're a UK fan!  lol).  I had no clue about flowers, but my florist (J. Elizabeth) is absolutely fabulous.  She came up with some never-before-seen ideas and has worked overtime to make my wedding creative, artistic, and budget-friendly.  I felt like some other florists in the area weren't really listening to me and stuck a "do-what-we-do-all-the-time" attitude.
  • Options
    kayray02kayray02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for the advice. I will be making my own flowers since I have several years of experience. I just never experimented with different colors. I always went for the simple and obvious colors that matched..... I am going to stick to the orange and blue with a little blue in the flowers... I really like the way it looks after looking at it more... Thanks again....
  • Options
    faeriechyldfaeriechyld member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Blue and orange go well together... there is some term (I learned in an art class),  but if you pick a secondary color (purple, orange, green), it goes well with the 3rd primary color that doesn't make it.  So orange (red+yellow) and blue are seen together lots because they compliment each other... maybe that's the term, complimentary colors.

The more you know!!! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think the blue and orange look great! I actually have the swatches from davids bridal in my purse right now! We decided on cornflower blue and canary yellow for our June wedding.
  • Options
    seseidelseseidel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you can look at www.thecolorpallete.com. I think that's the website.  I found it very useful. 
  • Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    http://theperfectpalette.blogspot.com/search/label/Light%20Blue

That's got 15 different inspiration palettes that involve light blue.  Two that I really love:

DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    Birdie1483Birdie1483 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kay, i think those would be great colors. I'm a fan of having accent colors that "pop" and orange and yellow will definitely pop with a light blue dress. I would suggest having a darker shade of orange so you're mixing the lighter shade of blue with a darker shade of orange. Orchids and asian lillies would be good for this.

You could also look in the "Wedding Ideas" section of TK and look by wedding color. That's what I'm using for inspiration for colors. I've also just googled "Silk Flower wedding bouqets" to see a lot of already made bouquets. This could be useful even if you're using real to see what the final product might be.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards