Indiana-Indianapolis

What if it rains?

Hello, I am recently engaged (havent even announced it to my family yet!) so I started browsing vendors. I already have some things very clear in my mind, I want to have the wedding on a farm. My fiance's uncle has a farm that I havent seen yet, but it sounds fantastic. Here is my big concern: what if it rains? I keep telling myself "it will be in september! it absolutely will not rain...it wouldnt dare." but it might. I might be getting ahead of myself, but I'm a big planner and I love putting things together. Anyway, I am looking for party tents and have found some I like but omg the prices! My fiance and I really dont make a lot of money and I dont want to blow a ton just on one night-no matter how special. I'm spending a large amount on my photographer...and everything else we are making, from my maid of honor and I making the invitations and decorations, to my fiance brewing his own all-grain beer. I want to keep it that simple and personal but...what if it rains? The costs just keep stacking up. Does anyone know a cheap tent rental place or an affordable alternative? Or maybe just have a better judge of weather? I moved here from Arizona so it FEELS like it rains all the time here...but maybe I'm over thinking?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What if it rains?

• hjay07hjay07 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Okay...I voted for "I seriously doubt it will rain", because we really have little to no rain in September. I think you'd be okay...but I for one know that I would worry about it ALL THE TIME...I would probably go the "better safe than sorry" route.

Are there any buildings or shelters on the property that you could use if you absolutely had to? If not...check out places that aren't specifically party rental places. I have a friend who was able to rent a tent from a farm supply store- they happened to have one for when they did outdoor events & fairs and they let her have it for the day for like $100.

• vicki0508vicki0508 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would have a tent ready to be rented.  September is a popular month, so you don't want to be scrambling a week before your wedding trying to find a tent to rent, and then you might end up with something super ugly.

Plus, September can be pretty darn hot.  So if nothing else, the tent would be a good place for guests to sit down and get out of the sun, and you could have some fans set up inside of it.

Same goes for if it's cold, you can provide some shelter for the guests and put some heaters inside. 

I think you should be better safe than sorry.

Oh, and the only tent place I know if it Lafayette Tent and Awning.
    http://lafayettetent.com/
  • edited December 2011
    Think about it this way: Is your peace of mind worth $500? It probably won't rain...but it might. If you can live with the possiblity it might rain, not get a tent, and then have a plan c if it does rain - then don't get a tent. I personally would just pay out the money, so I could get on with planning in peace.
  • mfoster5mfoster5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    its Indiana, it very well could rain. I would look at your budget realistically. The best way to do this is to figure up what you can afford to spend, and then look at your guest list. feeding your guests will be the biggest expense, so figure out if it even makes sense to have the wedding outside if you have to rent tents etc. just look at all your options.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone! After viewing my fiance's uncles farm I have decided to definitely get a tent...there are no shelters and it's a lot of flat land with not much going on so a tent gives me something to decorate too! I appreciate all the responses.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The weather in Indiana is so crazy, you never know if it will rain or not! I would recommend renting a tent in the event that it does rain.  The motto, better safe than sorry really does apply here.  It's your wedding day and I wouldn't take any chances, especially after all the hard work planning.  From experience, you cannot rent a tent the week of, or even before your event....it has to be done in advance.  

When I was planning, I went to A Classic Party Rental and they were great to work with.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards