Indiana-Indianapolis
Options

Wedding dress shopping :)

any suggestions on where to go for wedding dresses besides David's Bridal? I have heard horrible customer service issues with them so I'm not sure if I will go there. I'm in Indianapolis, IN.

Re: Wedding dress shopping :)

• Options
    edited December 2011

I got my dress at Posie Patch Bridal Superstore in Castleton, same plaza as Trader Joes.  They have a lot of different designers - Maggie Sottero, Cassablanca, Allure, etc.  When I went, I felt like you were given a lot of personal attention and space, that they weren't just trying to make a sale and get you out of there.  I went to David's Bridal once to look for a prom dress for my sister, and I just got this feeling that their goal was to get everyone in and out quickly, not to make it a special experience for the brides.

I know some people who have gone to Nancy's Bridal, also in the Castleton/Keystone area, but when I went in there to look for shoes, I don't think they had the selection Posie Patch does.

Good luck, and have fun :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to Posie Patch off 82nd and Allisonville.  They are wonderful!  I hated my experience with davids bridal...it was not personal at all.  Shawn from Posie Patch actually picked out the dress that I wore on my wedding day.  They sit you down, ask you questions and then let you pick some things while they pick some things that you may like.  It was an awesome experience. 
  • Options
    hjay07hjay07 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Alfred Angelo at the Castleton Mall is also really nice- ask for Stacia, she's awesome!

• Options
    indyindy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Got mine from Special Ocassions and Consignment on 31 and Main street in Greenwood. It is in a small strip mall with dinette land and a few other stores. Mary the owner is very helpful and they have a huge selection. I also got the flower girl dresses from there and the tuxes as well. They are closed on Sunday's and Wednesdays.
  • Options
    angeltennis3angeltennis3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to:

Demetrios Bridal off 82nd & Allisonville
    David's Bridal off 82nd & Allisonville
    Posie Patch Bridal Superstore off 82nd & Allisonville

I bought my dress at:

Bliss Boutique in Brownsburg

Alfred Angelo wasn't open when I bought my dress...but I would go there as well.

I would go to David's Bridal.  I was able to try on a lot of dresses, in my size, so I could see what styles I liked and disliked before going to the other salons.  I liked that.  I knew I wasn't going to buy a dress there unless it was THE DRESS...but I liked being able to try on a variety of dresses.

Demetrios was also great to go to and I got a lot of attention there.  It is just a little pricier than I was comfortable with.

I personally hated Posie Patch.  I found the staff very rude and didn't do a thing to help other than help me get dressed and undressed.  The woman was very tactless and didn't do a thing to help me find what I was looking for.

I was feeling very discouraged, but started researching more bridal salons in the greater indianapolis area.  We went to Bliss Boutique the next day.  It's a very small shop, but the owner is fantastic.  I was able to turn a dress I love 99% into exactly what I was looking for (corset back & sweetheart neckline).  The alterations woman is awesome, too.  She is giving me a stunning bustle & scalloped edge on my lace dress.  I'm so excited to see it in a few weeks!!!!
    Tara & Eric September 2011 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Posie Patch was awesome when it came to customer service and had a large selection.  They have a sales section as well!!!!

David's you'll be able to try in in your size to get an idea of what you like.

Demetrios has a lot but I didn't see anything in the style I was seeking so can't comment on their customer service.

Nancy's I made an appt and the girl who helped me was like 14.  Must have been the daughter of the owner.  I wasn't impressed by that.  Would have liked to have worked with an ADULT!

I bought at Sophia's Bridal down on the southside.  Great customer service and good selection.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Something Old Something New in Pendleton
    It was the first place I went, and I enjoyed my experience there-- no pressure, it was a Sat. morning and I was the only bride there, and friendly staff.  They let you take photos while in the dress which is a huge plus.  Wish I had the budget to purchase a Paloma Blanca dress from them...

Sophia's
    I had an OK experience.  I didn't like that I wasn't able to take photos of myself in the dresses.

Bliss Boutique in Brownsburg
    I had a good experience here, just didn't find a dress that I LOVED.  They let you take photos while in the dresses.

I ended up buying my dress at Cincinnati Bride in Cincinnati.  I had good service here, but felt some pressure.  I bought the dress that I loved though.  You can't take photos here until you agree to purchase the dress.

I also went to Bridal and Formal, which is huge (they carry over 3,000 dresses from 120 designers).  You can't take photos here, and you change into your dresses in a large room with other brides trying on dresses, so not the most intimate experience.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I only went to Posie Patch and bought my dress there. I've read some reviews about them where they find the "rules" restrictive but if I had dresses that were $1000+, I wouldn't want Starbucks anywhere near them, lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just a note...........the reason you can't take photos is the DESIGNER, not the store.  The stores that don't let you take the photos are carrying designer dresses.  The designers don't want knock-offs made of their gowns.  You'll also have difficulty finding pictures of designer dresses online for this same reason. 

So don't think the store is being rude, they are following their agreement with the designer.
  • Options
    vicki0508vicki0508 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to DB in Greenwood and hated it.  The consultant was rude, made remarks about my "odd" figure (wtf??), and left me waiting in the dressing room in my undies for 20 minutes while she brought in a new dress.  Plus, they give your phone number out to vendors.

I bought from Sophia's Bridal in Greenwood.  I had a great experience and they have been wonderful to deal with.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to DB first to get an idea, as many others here did.  Almost bought one there but decided to try other places.  Went to Posey Patch (I experienced pretty good service there), Bliss Boutique (good service, not very many dresses to choose from though), and finally, Demetrios, where I bought my dress.  I had great service there.  It's on the pricier side but so is Bliss. 

If you do want to go to a David's Bridal, I definitely recommend the one in Greenwood over the one in Castleton.  They were much more helpful to me there (I went to both--G'wood to try on initially with my mom, Castleton to re-try on a favorite for my maid of honor).  Definitely go on a weekday afternoon, though, if you're able!   Otherwise it's just too busy.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_indiana-indianapolis_wedding-dress-shopping-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:611Discussion:a7408b2d-57a6-4a5a-b03d-b5e65432048aPost:bd1cfa52-7d0c-4050-aeec-5eb6e1a6dcde">Re: Wedding dress shopping :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just a note...........the reason you can't take photos is the DESIGNER, not the store.  The stores that don't let you take the photos are carrying designer dresses.  The designers don't want knock-offs made of their gowns.  You'll also have difficulty finding pictures of designer dresses online for this same reason.  So don't think the store is being rude, they are following their agreement with the designer.
    Posted by shannon5176[/QUOTE]

<div>I disagree.  Something Old Something New carries Paloma Blanca and Watters & Watters.  Those are designer dresses and you can take photos there.</div><div>
    </div><div>If you're implying that I said they were being rude, I never said that.  I said that I didn't like that I wasn't able to have photos taken of myself in the dresses.</div><div><span style="font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;" class="Apple-style-span">
    </span></div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been to DB in Castleton twice, the second time with a different consultant (only because the first consultant I had was in another appointment that ran long)  I had a great experience both times, they did not rush me or try to force me to make a decision, I chose some dressed I liked and none of them flattered my figure but the consultants were able to pull dresses that looked great, they were very attentive.  I will be going back to make my final selection within the next few weeks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to David's Bridal in Castleton and Posie Patch. I LOVED the service at DB! My consultant listened to what I thought I wanted, and also brought suggestions. Posie Patch on the other hand, was not pleasant. It was so impersonal and felt overwhelming. I just felt rushed the entire time, including time with my consultant. I ended up going to DB today with my family & MOH and bought my dress! Absolutely gorgeous! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I ended up at a little boutique in Broad Ripple that has since relocated to Carmel.  It's called 'The Wedding Studio.'  They carry BIrnbaum & Bullock and Robert Bullock Bride.  They might carry The Steven Birnbaum Collection, but I'm not 100% sure.  It's a fabulous boutique, and it had a very one-on-one feel.

Highly recommended!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I highly recommend Lucy's Bridal in Carmel. Tracy, one of their consultants, was awesome! I bought my dress there and am 100% confident in the alterations they will do. They carry some other designers, but most of them are Lucy's collection (she is also the one who does the alterations). They don't have a huge selection, but each dress is especially nice since the designer owns the store.
  • Options
    noultra86noultra86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @ SarahJ
    I found a gown that I LOVE from their website. I cannot wait to get down there and take a look. (I live over an hour away and my days off are few and far between). How are their prices? I'm getting antsy about looking for a dress so I made an appointment at DB in my town for tomorrow just to get an idea of what looks good but I REALLY want to spend a day shopping in Indy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards