Pennsylvania-Central

Bridesmaid dress questions (long)

OK, so my BMs live all over the place (SC, CA, WV, OH).  One of them is coming to visit me the weekend of 11/13.  We were going to go that Sunday to look at dresses so that she could try them on and we could narrow it down to 3 or so choices.  Question 1 - Can anyone recommend any reasonably priced places in York/Lancaster/Harrisburg?  I'd like to keep them below $200.Question 2 - Do we need to make appointments at these places?I've heard that they should all be ordered together, so that they are all the same color (dye lot?).  Since all my girls live all over the place, could they just measure themselves and call it in to some place around here and order them all together from the same place, at the same time?  Then the shop could just ship them directly to each girl???  Question 3 - I'm not sure how all that works.  Is there a better way to handle this?Question 4 - My wedding is June 18.  How far in advance should we order the dresses to allow time for alterations?I think that's it for now.  Once I get the BMs figured out, we'll have to start figuring out the Groom and Groomsmen attire.  :-/

Re: Bridesmaid dress questions (long)

• MrsHarris2010MrsHarris2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    davids bridal...
    To Err is Human...to forgive is Divine... IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Maggie, I will try to be as helpful as possible here1. You could try davids bridal or alfred angelos2.  I would make an appointment especially on a weekend, I had to come back the first time I went looking cause I didnt have an appointment at DB.  I too have bridesmaids everywhere, FL and WIso I originally wanted to order them all together, but they couldnt all get it together enough to all get measured at the same time (one was losing weight and wanted to wait) well we ordered all of them separately and two of them ordered theirs in WI and had them shipped to that store and I ordered two of them in Harrisburg they were all sent to the store in Harrisburg and then sent to their home addresses in WI and FL.I will let you know if they are all they same color, they better be but at this point there isnt much i can do about it. The girl at the shop assured me they would be, but we will see. 4. They told me 8-12 weeks and then add in time for alterations so maybe 4 months.  But apparently that depends on the type of dress, fabric and color.  Also keep in mind that DB is busy during the Spring because of prom so you may want a little more leeway.  hope that was helpful!  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    ditto on PP. if you go somewhere like david's or alfred angelo you could always check to see if youre girls have one of those stores near them and just give them the product number and color and they can go order it themselves. when you are ordering from somewhere like that, they normally have set colors so you need not worry about varying dye lots. i've never been in or had a friend in a wedding that had this issue at DB or AA. i would definitely recommend making an appointment. another thing may be that if one of the girls knows her general size at DB or AA (if she's bought a dress there before) she may be able to order it online. my one BM and i are the same size, plus she has bought four BM dresses at DB before. so i went and tried it on for her, told her how it fit, then she ordered it online because she didnt have a DB near her at school. i would give yourself a few months like PP said, unless you are having your girls buy off rack. some of the dresses at DB you can only buy off the rack or online, like the special occasion dress line. at AA i think you HAVE to order. also AA and DB are pretty true to size, so you may not even need alterations for your girls. none of my girls needed alterations and for the last two weddings i was in, the only alterations on a DB dress i needed were to shorten the straps, which i just had my grandmother do because it was so simple. you should be able to tell this whenever they go try them on.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I was in a wedding in December, and they would not order our dresses until we had all ordered them. They stated that they wanted the dresses to all be made out of the same roll of fabric because of the coloring of it, and also the shine of it. They just had us each go in and get measured when we had time once the dress itself was picked. Hope this helps :-)
  • edited December 2011
    Question 1: DB or AA like PP mentioned. Why? Because they both have nice and affordable dresses and stores all throughout the US. Question 2: YES. Please make an appointment Question 3: Dye lot is a big myth. Don't worry about the colors matching. They will match! I'm not sure where this myth came from r maybe it was something of the past but don't worry about it. You pick the dress style and the girls go into the store that is close to them to get sized and ordered. They do not have to be ordered the same time (another myth) the girls can get them at anytime and they will be ordered one-by-one. Question 4: January is the safest. It might take 6-12 weeks depending on the dress style and the store you go to. 1-2 months for alterations.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards