Canada-Ontario
Options

printed envelopes vs handwritten

I have read differing opinions on printed envelopes vs handwritten. I'm wondering if this depends on location because I've never seen handwritten, just calligraphy or printed. What do you think in the GTA?

Re: printed envelopes vs handwritten

• Options
    LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In this day, I say to each their own.  I hand-wrote mine because I wanted a personal touch, but this may have varied with a larger guest list.  We invited around 200, which meant just over 100 envelopes to address.  If you are having more, this could turn into quite a project.  

Some people send them out to get done professionally with calligraphy, others choose labels with a fancy print, or send them to print right on the label.  I just bought a calligraphy pen from Michael's and used my own writing - it turned out pretty well.  I think it's tradition to hand-write them, but honestly, no one is really going to care.  Save your money and your time on this one, in my opinion!  I've seen a lot of labels and some hand written.  I don't know anyone personally who's sent them to be printed or used a calligrapher.
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've received both. I don't care too much either way but I always thought it was a nice touch if the couple took the time to hand address them.

If you decide to go the printed route, that's fine, but at least print directly on the envelopes or design some pretty labels. I always found plain labels to look a little tacky. PIB of my wraparound labels.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know it's an etiquette no-no but I don't have any problems with printed envelopes.  If you go that route, just choose a nice font and print directly on the envelope.  You don't want it to look like business correspondance!
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have received both as well and it didn't matter to me either way. It depends on the person and how much invitations they are addressing. Personally I printed mine via word document and labels :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I haven't done my invitations yet but I plan on printing them. Personally I have crap handwriting and don't really want it on the front of our invites. My Finace and I just did our Christmas cards (to almost everyone on our guest list) and I printed on clear Avery labels.

Im not really someone who cares about all the ettiquette so hopefully my guests/ friends don't mind either!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I really don't notice the outside of the envelope. By the time it arrives in the mail, half the time it's all wrecked anyway. I wouldn't stress over doing handwritten envelopes if you'd rather spend your time doing something else.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    steph_mosteph_mo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would rather receive a neatly printed envelope than one that looks like a 5 year old addressed it! Lol... I think that's an etiquette rule that nobody really cares about anymore
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My sister has addressed mine, she has fancy hand writing... depends on what you want! I think as long as you aren't using like times new roman, or Ariel font it will still look professional and elegant! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lipshtix - when no one's commented on a thread for a couple of days it's generally considered "dead".
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Any opinion is appreciated!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards