Canada-Ontario
Options

looking for a new twist on a guest book....any ideas

I'm trying to get away from using a standard guest book at my wedding, but I still want to keep the tradition. I  know it's common to have guests sign engagements photos, are there any other ideas?

Re: looking for a new twist on a guest book....any ideas

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are doing postcards instead of a book. There will be lots of postcards with stamps and all different colour pens and markers... the guests can take them and do them at their table or do them at the signing table. Then they will drop them into a box, and throughout the next few weeks my parents will mail a couple each day... we will come back from our honeymoon with lots of well wishes for the years ahead... AND postcards are free from vistaprint :D 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that I am going to use a nice coffee table book and then just have people sign over top of the images.
  • Options
    nmcarthurnmcarthur member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i've seen a few cute things.. from guests signing a pair of hockey sticks (hockey player groom) to 'recipe for love' recipe cards that guests sign, or something similar, and then you can put these together in a nice book. having polaroid pictures taken of guests which they then sign is cute and personal way to have nice visuals of the day. another idea i have bookmarked is from the following site, http://www.guestbookstore.com, where guests fill out a sheet on wishes, how they know you, memories, etc. really cute idea and looks great!

hope this helps. try to find an idea thats unique to your personalities!
  • Options
    LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I made a photo book for people to sign with engagement pictures, pics of friends and family, all the pre-wedding events, etc.

I've seen people do a "wish tree" that they ask people to write a wish on a paper leaf and put it on the tree branches, and have used it as decor in their house.  DH's uncle also has a beautiful white Muskoka chair all covered in signatures and well wishes that they keep in their sitting room from their wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    akacoconutakacoconut member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, thanks. You've got me thinking. I love how creative the chair is.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My aunt is a talented quilter so she's making us a wedding quilt.  At the reception, guests will sign squares for us and then she will then incorporate them into the quilt.
  • Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love the quilt idea.

I've also seen various items that are important to the bride/groom, like:
    - canoe paddles (avid outdoors people, the paddles are mounted above their fireplace)
    - silver platter signed with an engraving pen
    - vase, signed in black markers (I think a similar one can be purchased in TK's wedding store)
    - engagement photo frame
    - caricature picture

We are doing a photo book with pictures of the guests - they will take their own picture at the wedding (or the photographer will do it) and then they can sign on their own page and we'll paste their picture in later (instead of using instant Polaroids).  Each family or couple will have their own page.
  • Options
    lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're also doing a photobook.  We're using our engagement pictures and our guests will sign around them and it will be our coffeetable book.

My sister just got rid of it all together because she knew she'd never look at a book full of signatures, so that's also an option.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_looking-new-twist-guest-bookany-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:613Discussion:5eee8857-a975-4173-b792-926a20ca04adPost:fc72ff69-817c-4519-ba56-767da88fcdc9">Re: looking for a new twist on a guest book....any ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]... My sister just got rid of it all together because she knew she'd never look at a book full of signatures, so that's also an option.
    Posted by lalap69[/QUOTE]
    I think that's why I like the photobook idea with pictures of the guests - it is like a scrapbook of the wedding reception.  Snapshots of who was there, what they were wearing, who they came with, who was pregnant, etc. along with messages from our family and friends. Something to look back on in a few years essentially as another photo album of our wedding.  Because I also would not look back into a typical guest book just to look at signatures.
  • Options
    onetieronetier member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had our guests sign two oval platters.  You can get them at Michaels (although I just bought mine off ebay).  You bake them after to seal in the signatures.  I've used mine a few times after the wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am going to get a Polaroid guest book where I'll have my little brother taking the guests pictures with the Polaroid camera and immediately sticking them into the slots and having the people sign that page with their picture.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    StephieBowStephieBow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're making a photobook using our engagement photos.  People can sign the book on any page around our photos.  I otherwise would likely not use my engagement photos for anything beyond a nice print, and a save the date.  This way we have an album of using our pictures as well as little messages from people attending the wedding.

Second part to this, we also rented a photobooth - later in the night for a more "fun" guest book when the photos print out, one goes to the people in the pictures, one into a guest book where they write something "Funny" to us beside their photobooth silly pics.
    Anniversary image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• Options
    vexievexie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We're doing a Wish Tree.  I bought some gorgeous Manzanita branches, will put them in a pot, decorate them with crystals etc, then on the day of the wedding the guests will write their wishes/words of advice on a tag and tie them onto the tree.   After the wedding we're going to put all the tags into an album so we can see who attended and read all their great well wishes.  I'm really excited about putting this together!!

84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards