Canada-Ontario

G20 vacation score!

Following up from my earlier post... I am DEFINITELY skipping town during the week of the summit. You may have seen in the news that U of T is closed during that week. (Officially, I think it's only closed for Thursday and Friday, but apparently it will be "open on a restricted basis" earlier in the week as well.) I *think* this means I can take the week off without using as many vacation days. Yay!!
Baby Birthday Ticker
Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w

Re: G20 vacation score!

• LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    YAY - that`s great! FI and I will be heading to the cottage as early as we can on Friday and coming back late Sunday night to avoid as much as we can.
  • Bhanu&AnujBhanu&Anuj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lucky girls!!! Enjoy!
    I work in the suburbs I have no excuse :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Bhanu&AnujBhanu&Anuj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Quick Question: I keep reading online / google searches that the g20 is Jun 26/27 ...which is a weekend...why is everything be shut down....and is it the weeke before or the week after?
    Thanks ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They are building a giant fence around some of it - making it hard to access, and closing roads and having security checks for a lot of the areas as well.  Have to make sure the area is safe before all the dignitaries come in.
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, because the G8 is being held immediately before the G20, it is anticipated that people will use that week for protests. (The G8 is in Muskoka, and I guess there will be some protests there as well, but obviously Toronto is an easier place for people to convene.) The protest zone is at Queen's Park which is adjacent to U of T. Many of the businesses shutting down or partially shutting down lay along the corridor between the protest zone and the summit security zone.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    Oh very good idea! I live in Barrie and when the G8 is happening highway 400 will be closed off and on from what i understand. It's going to make getting around town a bit harder :P  I wish I could escape too! 
  • edited December 2011
    We've found ourselves in a bit of a pickle: Our wedding is in Toronto on June 25th. From there, we go home (right smack in the middle of downtown) for the weekend, and on the morning of the 28th, we are catching our flight to Barbados.

Finding a hotel room for OOT guest was probably one of the hardest things we had to do in our planning process!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards