Canada-Ontario

Looking for good economical alterations

Hi there this is my first post,

My wedding date is July 10th. I bought a maggie sottero dress on sale at Windsor bridal on sale for $299 plus taxes this weekend. She said that to do the alterations there they would charge $475 but that I could find someone who works out of their house much cheaper (she said not to pay more than 100 or so dollars)

I am wondering if anyone in the toronto area has used a seamstress that was affordable ( I don't want to spend more than what I paid for the dress in alterations). I am looking for someone who can tell me who is reputable and does good work.

I need the front hemmed by about 6 inches (there is some beadwork that will need to be cut off). I would also like the train pinned so that it doesn't get dirty but we can still see the beading. It is going to be an outdoor wedding so I need to make sure that if the ground is a bit muddy my dress won't be ruined.

Thanks so much,

Katie

Re: Looking for good economical alterations

• edited December 2011
    I found a great lady on kijiji.  She is in Scarborough, but is worth the drive.
    She does alterations for a bridal shop, but she also does them on the side out of her home and she has amazing prices.

I have a very complicated hem with beading and a red band around the bottom and she is only charging me $90 for the hemming.  She is a really nice lady too.

Her name is Caroline Lee
    647-988-2458
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board!
  • edited December 2011

Thanks ladies!

I ended up going with two women I found on kijiji as well. Anna and Qobolla, they're located in Brampton and also work for a bridal shop and do alterations in their home on the weekend. I need my straps removed, dress with a scalloped edge hemmed, am adding a bustle and having the ribbon on my corset shortened. I also asked if for an additional charge she could make a second black satin ribbon for me to wear. She offered to do it for free if she has the fabric and if she doesn't it'll be $10-15. She's charing me $120 for the other alterations. I am looking forward to my second fitting this June.

http://qobolla-seamstress.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards