Canada-Ontario
Options

ek expensive favors

just wanted to share. we’re just deciding on our favors right now. after talking with nadege we decided to go with their macarons. they come in a clear box with ribbon and there are 2 macarons per package. price is $4.50 per box. i know everybody’s budget is different but these were slightly over our budget but we decided to go for it because we really liked the idea. then I saw an article about petite and sweet, a new store by summerhill that has some really beautiful edible favors. they have things like macarons, chocolates, and painted oreo cookies. i contacted them and told them my budget is $4.50 a favor and asked what in their store they would suggest and they told me they didn’t have anything in my budget! i was quite surprised. there wasn’t one thing in their store that could fit my budget? i guess the wedding business is big business. ek!

Re: ek expensive favors

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would not spend that much on favours.  I have read way too many posts on wedding forums of people complaining about any and all favours.  they're not going to care about pretty packaging, and some people will hate macaroons, etc. etc.
    Anniversary

imageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you are willing to do some of your own packaging, you used to be able get boxes of macaroons for $1 at zellers.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you haven't bought already - I agree with samantha...

You can do it a LOT cheaper on your own. I'm making shell shaped chocolates (on theme) and doing some with crushed pecans and caramel... putting them in little clear boxes (cheap from most packaging places)... putting a small thank you tag inside and tying with raffia. It might cost me 80 cents per person... but likely not that much. Plus family is helping put them together.

Good luck either way you decide.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try Rocky Montain Chocolate Company. I know they have a location in Square One. They gave me quotes for a lot cheaper for fun, yummy favors:)
  • Options
    onetieronetier member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm the contradiction.  I think favors are very important.  I think it's nice to give your guests something as a token for coming to your wedding, whether they will like it or not.  I can guarantee you'd hear more "bad talk" if you didn't give them anything.

That being said I do agree that you should look for something in your budget.  Yes doing edible favours yourself is cheaper, however, most people overlook the time and effort that it takes to do these edible favours, and most people are usually pretty busy the days leading up to their wedding.  The other issue becomes a matter of proper storage as well.  Sometimes it's worth paying the extra money so you don't have the headache of having to think of all these things the days before your wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I personally don't believe favours are necessary at all. I have never ate or kept a favour personally and have always had the bride and/or groom thank me personally for coming to the wedding. This means more to me than any tangible item. Thank you cards from the shower and wedding are also more meaningful to me. We will give to charity in lieu of tokens -our personal choice.

Whichever you choose, $4.50 is quite a lot for something that your guests may or may not appreciate. Make sure you check out all your options fully before deciding. You can purchase small tokens from charity websites, if you are interested in that option also.

EDIT: just noticed my abundant use of "personally" haha

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Car&Ry... I don't care about favours.  Usually they are trinkets that I take home out of guilt and throw out when I get home.  If it's a budget issue, I'd rather have people spend the money on open bar or better food or a band.

That being said, I think macaroons are a delicious-sounding favour, and although I personally wouldn't spend $4.50 each on them, I'm sure they will be great.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I personally think that $4.50 is WAY to much for favors. I personally would select something that you know everyone will enjoy, and that wont be thrown away.

Premier Butterfly Events does favors much cheaper then that and they ship everywhere. You can get favors in the range of $1.00 to $3.50 each and they are custom created to match your wedding colors and theme. This is who we decided to go with based off a recommendation from a friend. They are making us 2 jumbo cookies, wrapped perfectly, with a custom favor tag. When I contacted them first, they even sent us a dozen cookies to try first and so we could see how it would be shipped without being ruined.

The site is www.PremierButterflyEvents.com if you are interested in contacting them.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

Based on my experience, people don't care too much for favors. We had photo coasters for $0.87 per set of 2 and bells (we got separately for free). It's a good thing we didn't spend a lot because there were quite a bit left behind. Fortunately, we had guests that gladly took more coasters and used as sets and took multiple bells for decor or their wall unit set. We got our coasters at www.weddingfavorsunlimited.com

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I personally think $4.50 is a lot of money to spend on a favour, however when I do go to weddings I prefer the edible favours over the trinks which usually end up in the garbage. When you say Macaroon's your mean the french macaroons and not the chocolate macaroons right?
    I think it is a cute idea!
  • Options
    APW2010APW2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We spent $4.50 on our favours, but they were particular to our theme. None were left behind, and we had a few complaints of people that theirs was 'stolen' by another guest (that's what you get when you give a few styles and people try to collect them!!!). I hate how much this stuff costs, but sometimes it is money well spent - you know your guests and your theme best to assess how much value favours will add.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards