Canada-Ontario
Options

Looking for a venue!

I'm confused how this works.   I'm looking for a venue that not only has really nice grounds, but will also provide/allow me to cater a hybrid Chinese/Russian meal (still TBD). 

Some places explicitly says that catering is allowed but for a fee. Some other's don't say anything, and is that something the venue might provide? or something I need to ask? Will a Chinese meal always require catering? 

(I've look at Rovey.ca and I don't like any of the venues there)

Why is it that the venues see the menu as most important in my decision, but really I'm trying to find pictures of their grounds! 

Re: Looking for a venue!

• Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It sounds like you're at a point where you need to start visiting venues in person. Most venues have some pictures of their facilities online but they can't cover everything (not to mention that they want you to come in person to see the rest).

Specific menu requests like yours are something you'll need to discuss with the venue coordinator during your appointment. Some venues have an in-house catering only policy; some will work with you to customize your menu if their chefs are talented enough, or bring in outside caterers if they can't do what you want; others will provide only the venue and have you book the caterer separately.

Authentic ethnic meals will very often require outside catering. FWIW I've heard that Dragon Dynasty (the Chinese caterer for the rovey sites) is very good for Chinese banquets.

Mixed ethnic meals may be more tricky to accommodate. If you want authentic Chinese AND authentic Russian food, you may need 2 caterers... but not very many caterers are willing to work with another caterer for liability reasons. You can always ask though. It may help you to have specific ideas in mind of what you want. We wanted Chinese & Indian elements in our reception dinner so we worked with the in-house chef at our venue to incorporate ingredients and flavours from our cultures into a western style meal. But we were very specific in our requests.

If food is important to you, you may want to consider looking first for a catering company (like Daniel et Daniel, L'Eat, Ginger Island, Marigolds & Onions etc.) and then working with them to find a venue.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with previous post. Seeing pictures on a website is not the same as visiting the place in person to get that feel of how the place looks and what they can do for you (ex. specialty foods). They may have chefs whose specialty is chinese/russian food or have preferred caterers that they can refer you to for a discounted price.
  • Options
    blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I believe King's Garden has exactly what you would want. They are beautiful but out of my price range.

The Terrace is where I am going and I love them. They have an outside Chinese caterer they use, I am not sure how they would include the Russian though.

There is one in Scarborough that I can't remember but they do it all. It looks nice too.

All of the above mentioned give prices out online or through the phone, email. I live far from where the reception will be so I only looked at places I could get  a quote from before visiting. (so as not to waste my time)

Online there are places like Ontario Banquet halls that list halls according to city, many times the hall's website will tell you a lot about what they serve and sometimes what they charge.

I'll get back to you with the other name when I find it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married at The Briars and they have let us create a combination of Canadian/Brittish/Portuguese food. We had our tasting and the food was amazing, the area is stunning. We are also getting married onsite.
    You have to speak to the coordinator Alexis, she might be able to arrange things for you, they really set out to please.
  • Options
    mjwalker1226mjwalker1226 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we're looking to do an indian/jamaican fusion--- but having our family do all the food! mostly because we're both young and one of us is still studying! but that means we have to find a venue that allows outside caterers (ourselves) so if you come across any during your exepedition, let me know! or any helpful tips from caterers. maybe it will end up being more practical just to have caterers do the food--- but after looking at all the selected caterers toronto venues are linked with, none of them seem that ethnic...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards