Canada-Ontario
Options

wedding dress style vs. bridesmaids dress

Hi there,

We already purchased the bridesmaid dresses, and they are the style that i wanted for my wedding dress. Im not 100% set on it that particular style, but i wanted that style for my dress, would it be tacky or strange if i was to have the same style? (mermaid style)

Thank you

Re: wedding dress style vs. bridesmaids dress

• Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you talking about the exact same dress, or a similar style/silhouette?

Nah, I don't think it's TACKY to get the same dress as your BMs in white. Personally, I wanted to be the most elaborately dressed at my own wedding, but that's really just a personal taste thing. If you love the dress, go for it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    Bhanu&AnujBhanu&Anuj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's tacky to have the same silhouette cut as your BM dresses but as ring_pop said I also want to be "the most elaborately dressed".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you should do whatever is going to make you feel your best on your day. If I were you I might consider choosing a different dress for your bridesmaids?
     I only say this because like the others I want to stand out on the day in a more elaborate dress.
    I had a friend who got married last year and chose a bridemaid dress for her wedding dress, she looked beautiful but the Mother of the Groom had on the exact same dress in Navy, worse is everyone noticed and commented on it, she was a trooper but she told me later she was a little dissapointed she didn't choose a more "wedding" type dress.
    At the end of the day, it's your day. I don't think having the same silhouette would be an issue at all for me, I however personally wouldn't want to wear the same dress in white.
    May 2011 March Siggy: Our Venue~ Toronto Argonaut Rowing Club
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Sarah & Geoff~ May 14th, 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am going to ditto all PP that I would want to stick out from my BM's. There again, I picked a ball gown, and there isn't really a BM equivalent, but I guess that just goes to show you where I'm at in terms of dress styles and matching my BM's! It's not tacky, but it's your day so do what you want. I once read an article about a girl who hated being the centre of attention, so she made ALL 10 OF HER BRIDESMAIDS wear a white dress of their choice! You couldn't tell who the bride was from the picture! Now, granted, this is an extreme example, and your case isn't even close to that, but if you want your BM's in the same style dress as you, maybe you can pick a really sharp or dark colour so that your dress stands out for colour?
  • Options
    suellenslatersuellenslater member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Ultimatly it is up to you, I would just take into consideration how that style looks on all the bms, it is not a style everyone can wear, and althoug it is your day, I am sure you want your bms to feel good too!

Sue-Ellen
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    well they have already pretty much purchased the dresses, i'm really not worried about it, as my dress will be in white, and totally not the same even if it has a mermaid style. I am also not set in stone in the mermaid style, but do prefer the style. I've also decided they can't wear there hair in any way close to the style i want, so that should also make the difference.
  • Options
    APW2010APW2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

A mermaid style wedding dress can look pretty different form a mermaid style bridesmaid's dress, so I don't think you have anything to worry about with that.

What colour will your girls be wearing?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards