Canada-Ontario

DJ is costing a lot more than I thought, Need opinions please..

I know we'll all have different ideas of what is too much but this just seems off to me.

I am getting married in February. (Way off-season)
I am having a small wedding of 100 people and the room in which we'll be is small as well.

The prices for the pacgages I was quoted were $1350 plus tax for the basic DJ no lighting at all. (other than the overhead hall lights) 
$2500 plus tax for DJ and an MC and lighting(intelligent lighting for dancing and up lighting for atmosphere)....it got way higher from there.

I talked to them about my expectations and where I would like the cost to be. The lowest they would go is $1650 incl tax. One DJ, Intelligent lighting-which is for dancing. (no up-lighting).

Does this sound reasonable? Is this a 'normal' price for the GTA. (hall is in Woodbridge)

If we don't use them the cost is over $500 more. When I was researching the hall I was misinformed as to how much they charged but it's too late now. (Plus I love the hall!)

Re: DJ is costing a lot more than I thought, Need opinions please..

• Jewel224Jewel224 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Which hall is it?  I'll check with a few friends and see whom they recommend.
  • blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, it's Le Jardin.

The people at the hall have been more than wonderful.

When I called for a ballpark estimate they quoted much lower prices which is one reason I felt fine booking the hall.
  • edited December 2011
    I can tell you that I paid $1000 for a DJ who will also MC with lighting and a dry ice machine for the first dance.  So it sounds like a total rip off to me.
    Anniversary

imageimage
  • Jewel224Jewel224 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok so here's a list from brides from another forum I'm on that they recommended:

Impact Entertainment - around $1000
    Skip-a-Beat - Ask for Brad - not sure about price
    Veriation Music - Also around $1000
    Scotia Entertainment - Ask for Terry - not sure about price
    Pure Party DJ Service - Ask for Fil - around $1000
    Sounds DJ - Ask for Joe Seyler - not sure about pricing
    DJ C Glen - 416-575-9087 - not sure about pricing
    DJ Ian Liwanag - http://web.me.com/ianliwanag/www.Studio301b.com/Studio301%5bB%5d.html - not sure about pricing

According to them, they should be around the $1000 budget range.  Happy DJ hunting!
  • edited December 2011
    I paid including tax 1800 plus uplights. This was a September wedding and he is one of the more well known companies (Prodigy Entertainment). It was expensive, yes. But it was so worth it! The dance floor was packed. There was no akward lulls in between songs, everything was mixed like at a club.

If you want a good party, I think it is one of the better ways to spend your money!

Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • blush64blush64 member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks to all! I think I know I need to look elsewhere. I would rather pay the fee they charge for going elsewhere just so they don't get more of my money.

Thanks
  • BMcLeodTeamBMcLeodTeam member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am paying around $2000 during Sept wedding season, and that's for our DJ to travel up to the Muskoka area to do the wedding complete with all the lighting/etc. Def worth looking around to see what else you can get!
  • edited December 2011

Our wedding is at Le Jardin as well!! :) I love love it, Martina is amazing there. I was quoted almost exactely what we have on our contract now and was told that if we went with there DJ it would be about $2500, unless we use our own DJ which would be $500 for rental of equipment as the DJ company owns the equipment (speakers are in the walls, etc) we haven't booked yet as our wedding is in June, but my FI cousin is a DJ so we asked him last week if he would like to do it, (didn't want to step on any toes) he said he'd let us know by the end of the week. Such a beauitful place, hope everything works out for you :)

image 220 Are ready to party!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • blush64blush64 member
    edited December 2011

Melfacto, I also found everyone at Le Jardin amazing!! Martina is really the best. I was perfectly happy with everything until this. I wish I also knew a DJ.

For now, I'll look around.

• mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

Definately look around: Kijiji, Bridal Shows (what's left if any), word of mouth etc.

• edited December 2011
    From what I understand, the DJ that you have spoken to is DJ Emporium. In that case, yes the equiptment in theirs, if you use their equiptment you do need to pay the extra $$$. I met with DJ Emporium when I was looking for a DJ. Honestly, the guy I spoke to was rude and pushy. He claimed to have the "cheapest package in town, hands down." It was well over $1000 more than any of the other big DJ companies in the GTA for the exact same stuff. 

But, from what I know about Le Jardin, you do not have to book their in-house DJ or use his equiptment. Unless it says otherwise in your contract, get another DJ. IMO if a venue was making me use their perfered vendor (or pay to not use them) I would seriously reconsider booking my even with them.

Every good DJ will bring their own equiptment and, in most cases, they will prefer to work with their own things. Hire someone else.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • JenneBJenneB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just got married on September 24 and used Vince from Just 4 U Entertainment, he was amazing!!!!  My husband and I were as most of the weddings we have been to have been over by midnight and people we not dancing very much.  WIth Vince the dance floor was packed and we ended up keeping him until 1pm and the party was still going then.  We had him for 7 hours, he was our MC and with semi intelligent lights, a light ball and haze our cost was $1200,  I know they also have cheaper packages, I would hire him again in a minute!   Good luck with your hunting.
  • SNTJ2012SNTJ2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Audio Entertainment.  We met Rowan this weekend and booked him right away.  We have heard excellent reviews from friends who have used him at their recent weddings!  His pricing is reasonable and he is very professional and responsive.  His email address is [email protected]
    Good luck!

• edited December 2011
    Definitely keep looking around for a cheaper price. One thing you may want to consider is to ask a friend or close relative to be the MC if the DJ charges extra to do this. Maybe you have a funny uncle who would be great at it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards