Canada-Ontario

Day of Coordinator Recommendations?

Hi there - we're getting married next May and I'm wondering about Day of Coordination.

We'd be looking at paying max $1000 - our budget is tight as it is. Our venue (Archeo, Distillery District, downtown Toronto) only opens 2 hours before the reception, and they require someone from our side of things to coordinate putting up any extra decorations, etc.

Is it worth it? Have you worked with anyone spectacular who you can recommend?

I've looked at some of the other posts but most are at least a year old and I'm hoping for current recommends. Thanks!

Re: Day of Coordinator Recommendations?

• You can check out Leena from Let's Party Consultants.  She's always willing to work with people's budgets.  I hired her to assist me with obtaining a venue and she did a great job.  I'll also likely hire her for our day of coordination as well.
  • check out danielle at happily evr after events..i was pleased with her ..my wedding was june 17th
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Happily-EVER-After-Events-INC/147414565313715?sk=photos
    Mashavoo
  • I have a similar problem like you but I spoke to my florist to help out.  If you are booking to have a backdrop, those people you hire will do it.  Just make sure you know exactly what you want from them and ask on of your friends who's a guest, to either come early or to be the person the florist/decorist will call if they hava  problem.  
    Just think of all the weddings that happened without of day of co-ordinator, it all worked out.  My mom works for La Primavera and she always say they are a waste of money.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Depending what exactly you are looking for, you may not actually need a DOC.  A decorator sounds more like what you need.  Do you just need linens, centerpieces, lighting, chairs/chair covers, etc.?  If so then a decorator would be good, they can rent you the stuff, set it up, leave during the reception, then come back and and take it down and clean up.

Get a DOC if you are looking for more than just decor - like organizing you, being there during the reception to keep things on schedule, acting as your contact person to the venue, coordinating different vendors, etc.

And yes, hiring someone to set up my chair covers and candles and centerpieces and linens was 100% worth it, I couldn't have imagined going to the venue the morning before the wedding and trucking stuff around, it would have been way too stressful and way too much to ask of my friends/family to help out.
  • I think I'm probably looking more at really a decorator - the key problem being with only 2hrs beforehand to set up, anyone who I would trust to be that point person at the venue I'll want at my ceremony - which would be happening at that time!

naomikb do you have a recomendation for a decorator? Or perhaps this may be something a DOC would do at a reduced rate?

My family is great and I have no anticipated needs for family wrangling, etc.
  • heidi gruenspan
    look her up. she is outstanding. we work a lot of events together and she does a great job!
    Orly Kahn *Makeup Artist* www.orlykahn.carbonmade.com
  • Amanda from Ferri-tale weddings. We met with her a few times and she helped us get organized (not my strong suite lol)
  • I'm using Tiffany Yau as my wedding day coordinator. She's been easy to work with and even though we hired her for Day-Of, she's always willing to chat via email if necessary! Organized and very cost-effective! Might put you at ease to have a contact person to coordinate and ensure the decorator is getting everything done so you can relax and get ready for the big day!
    Let me know if you want her contact info!
  • You can check out Vivian's Decor and Designs - her work is stunning and she's been featured on 4 weddings canada.  Here's her facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/viviansdecor. Not sure what her decorating charges are though.

A DOC may be worth it because they can handle and ensure your vendors are all set up according to what you want.  They take care of making sure vendors are paid, etc. That way you don't have to worry about it.  Just something to think about.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_day-of-coordinator-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:daad062e-ba0a-4260-a6c2-c85e14f8eb57Post:0da45319-1c90-4303-b806-50d179c1be5f">Re: Day of Coordinator Recommendations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think I'm probably looking more at really a decorator - the key problem being with only 2hrs beforehand to set up, anyone who I would trust to be that point person at the venue I'll want at my ceremony - which would be happening at that time! naomikb do you have a recomendation for a decorator? Or perhaps this may be something a DOC would do at a reduced rate? My family is great and I have no anticipated needs for family wrangling, etc.
    Posted by intotheheart[/QUOTE]
    Unfortunately I don't recommend my decorator.  She was affordable and did good work and came through on everything we ordered but was TERRIBLE to communicate with.  Her invoice pricing was always wrong, she deposited my cheque and then sent me a "reminder" email that I hadn't send her my 2nd payment yet... she was just disorganized.  Sorry!
  • In Response to Day of Coordinator Recommendations?:
    Hi There!
    I would totaly reccoment my planner! she did my friend's wedding in 2010, and everything was perfect! I am getting married next month, and she is now helping me plan my day. We have been extremely happy with how she and her partner handle themselves. Never have I had to chase her. She has been there for me through every moment of the planning. Her name is Lina, and she is working at WedPack... I think she is one of the owners. 
    Check out her website, www.wedpack.ca, I think she is changing it though, so I would reccoment to just call. Good luck, Jess.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards