Canada-Ontario
Options

Help!!

Hey everyone, I'm just recently engaged and planning a wedding for 2 years from now... I have no idea where to start or what the first step is.... :s

I want an outdoor wedding and all my bridesmaids in different colours. I have somewhat of a vision but who knows if this will change over the 2 years... where do I start?? I need opinions and ideas....

Thanks ladies :)

Re: Help!!

• Options
    achiduckachiduck member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on the engagement! I wouldn't worry about trying to get too much done right away- you've got two years and will probably change your mind several times about what you want your colours and decor to be. FI and I started talking about getting married in January of this year but didn't get engaged until the end of June. In that time I changed my mind 6 or 7 times about colours.

If you have your heart set on a super popular venue I would call them and ask how early they recommend you book them because some of the super popular ones in TO do book 2 years in advance. If not, you're fine to wait awhile.

First you need to figure out your budget. This is how much you can comfortably save each month multiplied by the number of months between now and your wedding. Add in any family contributions (let them offer- it's REALLY rude to ask) and that's your budget.

Next figure out how big your guest list is going to be. This is often determined by your budget and you'll need your guest list size when booking venues, caterers, doing favors, the cake, centerpieces, etc.

Then figure out what you want your wedding to feel like - is it a formal affair or super casual.

FWIW, I wouldn't start booking vendors until at least 15-18 months out. You wouldn't want to give a vendor a deposit and then have them go out of business between now and your wedding.

Good luck.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Jewel224Jewel224 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with achiduck - figure out your budget first and the kind of look you want for your wedding.  Then take a look at different venues in the city to see which ones you like. 

I also recommend getting a wedding planner to help you in obtaining a venue - my FI and I got one just to obtain and negotiate with the venues as I plan on doing everything else myself.  She's already worth the money we paid her because she's doing all the leg work and negotiaons.  The same venues that were quoting me $120-$140 per person, are now quoting me $90 or less.  As well, a planner will also tell you whether or not that venue will stay afloat, as achiduck suggested.  Some really popular venues will book as early as 2 years out, especially if you want a Saturday wedding.  My cousin booked her April 2012 wedding in 2010 as quite a few Saturdays were already taken.

Once the venue's done - you can really take your time with everything else as like achiduck said, I changed my mind too a few times.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Very sound advice above - the only thing I would think about is venue right now.  Browse the forums (search this forum for venue and cruise the results for places; look at the vendors thread and see where others are getting married, etc) and check them out online, check reviews, pictures....  I often google a venue name+wedding to find photos online.

Once you have a list of venues you want to explore more, call them up and see how early you should book, and start scoping them out.  I find a planner hasn't been necessary for me, but maybe that's because my budget is really small (as in, $90 pp is still rich for my blood by a LOT) and I'm not even trying to talk down pricier places? 

Once you have the venue for reception (and ceremony, if that's your aim), just enjoy being engaged and explore colour combos (look at the real weddings section to see how a combo looks in action; play with colour palettes like paint sample cards), caterers, photographers (if you're going for higher end/in demand, also book this early, like 15 months out, to get your date) and just the general vibe you want (beach, casual, offbeat, traditional, etc etc).

I've been in planning mode for a year so far and have a year to go, and I used the extra year mostly for research.  I'm just booking my venue and such now (but I'm doing a Sunday wedding, which buys a bit of extra time, and our date is flexible within a 6 week range).

CONGRATS! 
  • Options
    LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You have two years, which means you have time to think about things before they get booked, which is nice.  First thing you'll want to do is set a budget, as mentioned about.  Talk with your FI and family and see if you will be doing it alone, or perhaps you may ask them for help.

Once that's done, you should make an estimated guest list.  Yes, that could change in two years, but you need to know rough numbers before you start venue-hunting.  You don't want to book a room for 400 if you are only having 100, and vice-versa.  Also, think about the time of year you would like to get married.

Check out TK as well as inspiration blogs such as Style Me Pretty and Snippet&Ink.  They are great for seeing colours together and getting ideas.  Once you have some inspiration, your ideas about bridesmaid dresses, decor, all the little details will come together.  Don't stress - enjoy the planning ride, and don't feel you need to do everything NOW.

Congrats and welcome! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies... Such a HUGE help. I know where I need to start my focus now :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards