Canada-Ontario

Toronto Venues

Hi all,

I just got engaged over the weekend, and when we talked about potential dates, he said that next spring would be nice.  Yikes!  So I'm going through venues, pronto.  Does anyone have experiences or reviews of venues?  I was thinking either mansions (like Miller Lash), centres (like Appel Salon) or galleries.  The guest list will most likely top out at 100.

Thanks in advance, and happy long weekend!
Laura

Re: Toronto Venues

• edited December 2011
    Congrats on your engagement!
    Check out this webiste-it has links to many venues in the GTA.
    http://www.theperfectweddingguide.com/wedding_reception.html

• edited December 2011
    Miller Lash is right near my house.  It's really beautiful.  However, you can't fit 100 people to eat inside, so if you have a cold rainy spring day, remember you'll be stuck under the canopy.
    Visit The Knot!
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on your engagement and welcome to the board!

The Estates of Sunnybrook (right next to Sunnybrook Hospital) are quite nice, and the food's good. I didn't have my own wedding there but been to a few weddings and events there which were lovely. It would fit your mansion idea.

I really liked The Rosehill but the ideas you mentioned seemed to be brighter and airy, and Rosehill is more dark and cozy. The Japanese Cultural Centre might also have a nice modern space if your'e interested in that. There are also lots of galleries in the distillery district which might interest you. Or the Gardiner Museum.

(I feel like I'm repeating myself from a previous post so sorry if you've already seen that, but those were the ones that stuck out at me when we looked.)

FWIW our wedding was at One King West and it was amazing, but perhaps too big for you. We used the Grand Banking Hall which is the largest hall (max 160) but they have some smaller rooms. The food was spectacular, people STILL talk about it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Jewel224Jewel224 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can also try http://www.eventsource.ca. You may also want to check out The Distillery.  I'm also checking out venues in Toronto and that's one of the ones I'm looking at.  Also, check out the Berkeley, which is another one I'm looking at - they'll allow you to bring your own alcohol there if you're looking for ways to save money as I'm not sure what your budget is.

C.
  • lauraQ123lauraQ123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks all!  The Distillery seems to have some very interesting options.  Has anyone been to an event at The Richmond?
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!! I got married in Mississauga so my venue selection is probably out of the way for you (Pavilion Royale) but enjoy the planning!
  • StephieBowStephieBow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having my wedding at St. Georges Golf and Country Club, it can accomodate parties of 25 to 180. There are tons of menu options as well and you don't need to be a member to have an event there - I'm not!
    Anniversary image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    StephieBow - went to a wedding at St. George last summer and it was beautiful!  

We got married at the Royal York.  Our room was best for 150-200, but there are other rooms there as well if you are looking for a ballroom.  

I've also been to a wedding at The Rosewater Room - great modern and classic feel together - beautiful!  I believe their guest list was about 120.
  • edited December 2011

Armour Height's Officer's Mess is where I'm getting married.  They don't advertise at all, so we stumbled on it because of a friend of my partner's mother.

Note - I haven't been there yet.  MIL has taken photos and partner has been there on a recent trip home.

From the photos, I love the building and the garden.  Big bonus is built in rainy day plan, as they will set up outside or inside, if you're going for same location for ceremony/reception.

• edited December 2011
    Think about budget, some of the ones mentioned are expennnnsive
  • Jewel224Jewel224 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should also try some restaurants since you're having 100 people. 
  • lauraQ123lauraQ123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks all.  We've got 2 venue visits this week.  I'm hoping to line up a few more in the coming weeks =)
  • edited December 2011
    Also checkout marriedintoronto.com/venues.  You can sort by price and capacity, which is handy.  We chose the Enoch Turner Schoolhouse.  It was great b/c we could bring in our own caterer and alcohol which saved a BUNCH of cash.  Best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards