Canada-Ontario

JW Marriot - Red Leaves, Lake Rousseau??

Hello fellow Knotties!

I'm recently engaged (just two days after my best friend - holy heart attack - let the planning begin!) ... she is getting married in March, and I am looking to get married in August.  Have a date on hold with JW Marriott, Red Leaves Rousseau (Muskoka) - ok, I was one of those "crazies" who started looking for a venue before the "official" engagement, but wanted to see if anyone else is planning a wedding there/has any tips, as we head into the contract negotiations - any comments welcome.  Thanks + nice to meet you all :)

Cheers,
Kerry

Re: JW Marriot - Red Leaves, Lake Rousseau??

• LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome! :)  I'm Kathleen and I'm getting married in 2 weeks in Toronto at the Royal York.

Red Leaves is so pretty - FI's cottage is on Rosseau as well so we've gone there a few times for dinner (including the day after we got engaged to celebrate with his family).  I've seen a few weddings while I've been there as well - cocktail hour on the patio and such.

Make sure you have a rough guest count and budget in mind - those are the basic first things.  Know that you can always vary the menu they provide (unless you are bringing an outside caterer), and they usually work with brides pretty well.  Also know that there are a lot of hidden costs - make sure if you know the numbers you get are including tax (13%) and gratuity (mine was 18%).  That can make a huge difference!

Let us know how it goes! :)

• mcrotondomcrotondo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey there
    I just googled the place....HOLY C%&P it looks AMAZING!!!!!  I can't say i've seen a place so incredibly lovely.  I think you'd be happy there...I think anyone would be happy there!

Go for it...just beautiful location!!!!!!!!!!
    Monique
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome to the board!
  • kerrysmileykerrysmiley member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ladies!  Super excited - now have contract in hand + feels so real - but concern is that it is much more in terms of $ for food/bev than anywhere else we have looked ... could make more cost efficient if we paid bar a la consumption, but fear is that could work out to more $ in the long run... yikes. Decisions, decisions.  Hoping to stop in at Red Leaves on way home from cottage vacation next week to see what kind of negotiating we can do ... thinking back up may be Copper Creek GC - any reviews??

@ Littlin - congrats ... just looking at calendar now + we seem to be nearing your big dig, if not already passed - how exciting.  Hope is goes/went well!!  Can't wait to hear details.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi!

My fiance and I are looking at Red Leaves for next summer. Any tips or info? I would greatly appreciate any info you can give me -- including how the big day went! :) This is all so very nerve-wrecking for me.

Thanks so much,

Jessica
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Red Leaves books far in advance, so make an appointment to check it out and discuss dates ASAP.  I've seen a few cocktail receptions between the ceremony and dinner out on the patio overlooking the place - great spot, its cool for a warm summer day, and everytime I eat there, we have excellent service!  I also poked my head into a reception last year (haha - it was on the way to the bathroom) quickly in the ballroom and it was decorated beautifully!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards