Catholic Weddings

Need to be a parishoner?

FI and I want to get married in the church we went to with our Catholic high school, where we met.  I am not currently a parishoner anywhere, and both our parents are parishoners at other churches.  Does this preclude us from getting married there? I'm going to call of course, but I wanted to be prepared when I call.

Re: Need to be a parishoner?

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It really depends on the parish. Some churches are in such high demand that they have to limit it to parishioners only. Some are less busy and will open weddings up to others, but may still ask that you join the parish.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's not that hard to become a parishoner if they ask that you are one.  You have to fill out a form and donate on the envelope system for six months.  The only problem may lie in whether or not they will give you a wedding date if you haven't been donating for six months or not. At least, that's what I've gotten from every single church where I live. 
  • edited December 2011
    depends on the parish... one of u has to be baptized catholic.

And at our church u could get married there...for quite a high extra fee...600 dollars
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Depends on the parish & the priest.

Daughter was married in a Catholic church on Cape Cod neither one of them were members and there was no fee.

The had to pay $250 for the soloist/organist if they used her or not.

Most churches in NYC require you to be a member or give a substantial donation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards