Catholic Weddings
Options

Merry Christmas Eve

Just in case anyone wants a little more Christmas Homily (eta: written by my H's friend who is a priest in Miami) to lighten the heart and swell up the soul.  God bless!

I.  25 years
I have been a priest for 25 years and I have not, yet, had the courage to preach on the Prologue to John’s Gospel for Christmas.  This is a passage of surpassing aesthetic beauty and theological depth.  Before I dare to say a word, listen again to the dawning of the Word: “In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  All things were made through the Word.  Without the Word, nothing came to be.  In the Word, was life and life was the light of all men and women.  The light shines forth in the darkness and the darkness strives to overcome it.  But the darkness can overcome it not.  There was a man, sent from God, named John.  He came to testify to the light, that all might believe.  John was not the light but came to bear witness to the light.  The true light was coming into the world.  The light was in the world, and the world came to be through the Word, but the world did not recognize the Word, the people of his own home did not receive the Word.  But all who believed became children of God.  They were born not of blood or of flesh or of human desire but of God ... And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth.  We have beheld the glory of the Word, the glory of an only Son coming forth from the Father.”

II.  Teresa, writing with two hands
Teresa of Avila once said that she wished that she could write with two hands, so that she could get down on paper what she was thinking about before she forgot what she had just thought about.  One gets the same feeling of hurried expectation when one reads John’s Prologue.  All of the Gospel is crammed into these few, beautiful lines of ecstatic poetry.  As you know, I often use stories to preach.  But here I can find no story or example to make the point any better than the evangelist does in these hurried, ecstatic words.

III. Christmas Preface
Later in this mass, we will pray the Christmas Preface: “ Father, all-powerful and ever-living God, we do well always and everywhere to give You thanks through Jesus Christ our Lord. In the wonder of the incarnation Your eternal Word has brought to the eyes of faith a new and radiant vision of Your glory. In Christ, we see our God made visible and so are caught up in love of the God we cannot see.  Father, may you see and love in us what you see and love in Christ.”

IV.  Away in a manger, no crib for a bed
I said that could not find a story, indeed, I cannot.  But a few weeks ago I was teaching the first communion class at Carrollton.  I taught them Martin Luther’s “Cradle Song.”  You know it better as “Away in a Manger.”  A little girl, only 8 years old, said: “Father, why did Jesus have no crib for a bed? He can have my little brother’s crib.  He’s too big for it anyway.”  You often hear that, “Christmas is for children.”  I think this is true but is often misunderstood.  Christmas is for children because only children, in their innocence and moral clarity, really understand it.  The Word became flesh so that the Father can see and love in us what the Father sees and loves in Christ.  Whether you are 7 or 70, Christmas is about Jesus  Christ being born, here and now, in our hearts and lives.  Every time we love, are kind or gentle, Jesus Christ is made manifest again.  Jesus Christ does not need a crib.  He has us to be born in.  Christ sleeps and laughs and plays in our hearts and lives.  Make no mistake ... this is what Christmas is all about!  The Word became flesh and dwelt among us.  The Word, continually, becomes flesh and dwells among us and within us still!

Re: Merry Christmas Eve

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow, mica. That is wonderful.

Do you just like to write homily's like that?

Merry Christmas to you and all the rest of the ladies. God Bless everyone.

H and I will be attending midnight mass later this evening.
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wish it was my Homily.  Sorry, I need to give the credit to the correct person.

I'm going to Midnight Mass tonight too with a SIL and hopefully my BIL if he's feeling better (and of course with H!).
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    merry christmas you guys!

i really, really wanted to go to midnight mass, but we need to travel tomorrow, so H didnt want to be up half the night.  so, we're hitting the 9am and then taking off for the day.  hopefully next year we can make the midnight.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Many of the churches in our diocese don't do the midnight anymore.  :( 

Most, the latest is 10. My church only has a 5pm tonight. We only have 1 priest, so we have 5pm tonight, then 9am and 11am tomorrow. I wish we even had a 10pm, because tonight I think it would work perfect, I know I could go to my parents' church or another one nearby, but I love my churchm, it's so pretty, and so pretty at Christmas. So I'll get up for 9am.

Crosswalk
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our regular church doesn't do MN mass either, but we're going to the one near to BIL's house.  My parents' church also does a beautiful MN mass.

I wonder why churches are cutting back on the midnight mass?  Zoning/noise restrictions?  Or fatigue of the poor priest and organist/choir.  Midnight mass has always been so popular at every church I've attended.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know the church we got married in back home, the priest decided to do 10:30pm mass. His reasons were due to parents having to get home to finish wrapping presents, etc. We were his last wedding since his term was up, so the new priest may have reversed that.
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

our local church here (which we dont attend because its just too outrageously liberal for our tastes) discontinued midnight mass due to low turnout (i'm sure its due to the priest - no one likes him).   funny, because the midnight mass at our church (half hour away) is always packed. 

i really wish teh church here were more to our liking - but even if it was, we love teh church we attend and our priest is so wonderful.  its really worth the drive, but sometimes holydays can be a challenge with our work schedules.  its pretty bad, weve been to 3 weddings there over the last year (including my SIL) and everyone foregoes mass so that they can be married by the deacon because no one wants that priest marrying them.

the 9am mass on christmas morning was wonderful.  it was mostly older folks who couldnt get out the nght before for the midnight and there was only one family with children there (they had the kids mass at 5pm christmas eve).   my priest was smiling, happy and wide eyed even though he couldnt have had more than 4 hours of sleep.  its amazing to see the joy he has in saying mass and seeing his "flock". 

• Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Thank you, Mica!

I was up in Boston visiting M & her family and didn't get on the knot for a couple days.

I went to a 4:00 family mass in their town and it was absolutely beautiful.  I couldn't do the midnight mass as they were having a family party and then heading for the Cape after breakfast and presents the next morning.

I hope you had a wonderful and blessed Christmas!
  • Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    oh, add on

I had tickets for midnight mass at St. Patrick's several years ago.  While I admit that it was beautiful aestheticly, it has become more of a theatrical event here.

Sad, because I remember going to midnight mass as a child and it was not held in our own church.  A member of the parish donated his barn and stables to the church each year and then, it was much more meaningful for me.

I think in the cities, it's a matter of expense and the numbers of the congregations falling :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards