Catholic Weddings

Suggested Donation...

Hi All,I'm hoping someone here can help me with what they 'paid' to have their wedding in the church. When I booked with my church I got a pamphlet about weddings in the church and at the end it mentioned that the chruch/priest appreciate a 'donation' for their services. Of course this is completely understandable but I have no idea how much would be appropriate. Can anyone help??TIA!

Re: Suggested Donation...

• edited December 2011
    I'm not getting married at my "home" church, but the church I was baptized at when I was born... They have a mandatory donation of $400. Our Priest from our "home" church is traveling with us to marry us. I plan on giving him $150-$200. From the stuff I read, it said take into consideration how often you met with your Priest and how much time was required of him. Then, base your decision off of that. I would say minimum would be $100. Hope that helps! Jillian
    BFP#1: 3/9/11 Natural m/c: 3/21/11
    BFP#2: 7/21/11 DS born 3/23/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Our church's fee was $1300.  (That's on the higher side from what I've heard, but our church is a cathedral.)  We gave our priest $150.Check with the church's secretary/receptionist to find out what is the appropriate donation to the priest.  This is typically separate from the church's fee, which they normally require you to pay when you reserve your date.
  • tnspighttnspight member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We aren't getting married at our home parish, so our priest is traveling to the site.  The chapel ($1100) we're using offers a social worker for three one hour sessions at $250 which is about $83.34/hr.  We met with our priest six times for about an hour each time, so I figure we should give him $400. 
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    our church fees were $100 for the priest, adn i think $280 for the organist.  we then gave our priest an additonal $100 on top of that. my advice is don't cheap out with your church if they are letting you set the amoutn.  this is particularly so if you are throwing a $20K reception afterwards. 
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We're doing $150 to the priest and $750 to the church. If we were using our own parish, it would have been $350 for the church.
  • edited December 2011
    We did $300 for my  church We also did flights,rental car ,hotel,all meals, 2 sweaters, and a $500 donation to the order for my great uncle/priest. although the sweaters was a winter coat for one sister and new winter boots and a blanket for another sister this is what is commonly done in my family for this priest who has married every couple in our family starting with my grandparents.
  • alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    it was our home-town church, so besides the $500ish fee, we "tipped" $200 on top of that and i know our parents also gave a gift. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards